Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
Andrew010

Plumbing & Electrical Diagrams

Anyone know where I can get diagrams/schematics for a Cougar High Country 321RES? Plumbing is a main thing I would like but electrical and anything else would be great as well.

Any help is appreciated!
Andrew010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
SlowPoke

A quick search on the forums, will reveal there really are none, as we have all commented on how these things are kinda concept designs. They think 'em they spec them, then someone down the line throws the plans to the winds and gets 'em done...

Just the way it seems to work. Wish I could be more help! Someone here may have more insight for what you're asking, but I don't think what you need is available in a capacity that you can use.

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
Andrew010

I've been searching around the net and not finding anything. I was hoping maybe someone had an 'inside' connection for this sorta thing.

I realize it's a long shot but figured it didn't hurt to ask.
Andrew010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Andrew010 -
You are not the first person to ask about plumbing and electrical schematics for your RV. The answer that I will give you is exactly the same as earlier requests --Keystone doesn't provide them and if you should come across a secret place where you can obtain them, you could make yourself quite a bit of money here on the forum.

I don't recall anyone ever having come across schematics of any description. Generally speaking, all RV's have pretty much the same wiring and plumbing but it may be laid out differently at the assembly line. Smith may route the lines from A to B a bit differently than Jones and so-on.

You may be able to Google "RV wiring" or RV plumbing and come up with the basic principles and diagrams followed by all manufacturers. Or go to your public library and see what you can dig up there.

Some time ago one of our members (SAD) posted a schematic but I wouldn't place any confidence in it. LOL If you're looking for a light-hearted attempt at RV diagrams - have a look at his old post.

Good luck in your search.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
billb800si

And that's a shame. I know our last trailer ( 2007 Jayco Eagle 322FKS) it was easy getting the electrical diagrams and the wall stud diagrams from Jayco. They just sent me a pdf file and I printed it out.
No problem.
Keystone seems to have a big problem communicating with customers. I send in emails with questions and NO REPLY. Keystone- WAKE UP!!!!!
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
And that's a shame. I know our last trailer ( 2007 Jayco Eagle 322FKS) it was easy getting the electrical diagrams and the wall stud diagrams from Jayco. They just sent me a pdf file and I printed it out.
No problem.
Keystone seems to have a big problem communicating with customers. I send in emails with questions and NO REPLY. Keystone- WAKE UP!!!!!
Yelling for Keystone to wake up on this forum won't do you any good. Keystone doesn't monitor this website nor do any of the Keystone employees hold membership in this forum. We are not affiliated with Keystone RV in any way and the disclaimer (in red) at the bottom of every forum webpage hopefully makes that clear.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
Htfiremedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Andrew010 -
You are not the first person to ask about plumbing and electrical schematics for your RV. The answer that I will give you is exactly the same as earlier requests --Keystone doesn't provide them and if you should come across a secret place where you can obtain them, you could make yourself quite a bit of money here on the forum.

I don't recall anyone ever having come across schematics of any description. Generally speaking, all RV's have pretty much the same wiring and plumbing but it may be laid out differently at the assembly line. Smith may route the lines from A to B a bit differently than Jones and so-on.

You may be able to Google "RV wiring" or RV plumbing and come up with the basic principles and diagrams followed by all manufacturers. Or go to your public library and see what you can dig up there.

Some time ago one of our members (SAD) posted a schematic but I wouldn't place any confidence in it. LOL If you're looking for a light-hearted attempt at RV diagrams - have a look at his old post.

Good luck in your search.
It was in color too... Had to agree with it!
Lol
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:21 AM   #8
SAD
Permanent User Ban

At the risk of getting in trouble with Keystone - and perhaps legal copy write risk - I am going to reluctantly repost my plumbing diagram.

While it may not be exact for each and every unit, I believe most who view it, feel it's fairly accurate.

SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:17 AM   #9
billb800si

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Yelling for Keystone to wake up on this forum won't do you any good. Keystone doesn't monitor this website nor do any of the Keystone employees hold membership in this forum. We are not affiliated with Keystone RV in any way and the disclaimer (in red) at the bottom of every forum webpage hopefully makes that clear.
============
Understand!!
But one never knows if a Rep is browsing a forum. Marketing people are information gatherers by nature.
I've spent over four months researching various 3 slide trailers. Have had to deal with various dealers where I know more about the product they're selling than they do. Had to talk with manufacturers that showed little concern about accommodating the public.
The Japanese ate the American auto manufacturers lunch by building products that Americans wanted. The RV Industry should pay attention to their clients. WE are the reason they are in business.
Happy trails,
Old 05-09-2013, 04:23 AM   #10
Bob Landry

The idea that Keystone haphazardly throws their trailers together at the whim of the workers is far from accurate. Like any manufacturing facility, they know exactly what goes into their product, where it is located, who made it, and how much it costs. Why they refuse to release even the most basic construction and component information , even after the warranty period is up, is totally beyond me. Many other manufacturers will. These guys won't even give out a brand name for a plumbing fixture. For whatever reason, being CYA or whatever, that is the reason why I'm probably a one time Keystone buyer If there is another trailer purchase in my future, it will be after making some "ghost" phone calls to cust service and a lot of homework, much in the same manner you would call a computer tech support line to insure you weren't going to have to talk to Ralph in India. I would love to run into a Keystone rep at a RV show and ask them why they have that policy, do they know how much repeat business it costs them, and do they even care.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:58 AM   #11
SAABDOCTOR

the only way to find out what the wireing and pluming looks like is to take it apart i know it would make life easy but that would not be fun. I do like the drawing a couple of posts ago that pretty well sums it up.I have allways woundered if all of us on the forum got together we all could build on heck of a trailer company!!!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #12
Comptech

You forgot to plumb in the black and grey tanks... LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
At the risk of getting in trouble with Keystone - and perhaps legal copy write risk - I am going to reluctantly repost my plumbing diagram.

While it may not be exact for each and every unit, I believe most who view it, feel it's fairly accurate.

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:10 AM   #13
Jim W

Quote:
No problem.
When I toured the manufacturing plant for JAYCO there were no schematics or blue prints available to the line assemblers. I watch the cabinet maker with interests since I am into woodworking, all he had was a cut list and he stated he built the cabinets from memory since he did the build the same ones over and over. We then went down the assembly line and watch the assemblers put together several 5er’s at a time and not at anytime was a print in view during the assembly process or an electronic work station (monitor).

I also know that some million dollar mining machines that are built do not have hydraulic blue prints for lines routing nor electrical wiring layout’s. Drove field mechanics nut’s when servicing them trying to figure out the correct hydraulic/electrical wire to fix or component.

This is not just a Keystone problem with manufacturing it is industry wide depending on the type of product that is being built. If it is low volume production unit than lines routing prints are not usually produce too much cost VS return on investment. Low volume is usually less than 10 units a day being built.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #14
billb800si

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
When I toured the manufacturing plant for JAYCO there were no schematics or blue prints available to the line assemblers. I watch the cabinet maker with interests since I am into woodworking, all he had was a cut list and he stated he built the cabinets from memory since he did the build the same ones over and over. We then went down the assembly line and watch the assemblers put together several 5er’s at a time and not at anytime was a print in view during the assembly process or an electronic work station (monitor). I also know that some million dollar mining machines that are built do not have hydraulic blue prints for lines routing nor electrical wiring layout’s. Drove field mechanics nut’s when servicing them trying to figure out the correct hydraulic/electrical wire to fix or component.
This is not just a Keystone problem with manufacturing it is industry wide depending on the type of product that is being built. If it is low volume production unit than lines routing prints are not usually produce too much cost VS return on investment. Low volume is usually less than 10 units a day being built.Jim W.
====================
Jim, thanks for the input. You may be right. I do know this. When I received the prints from Jayco the electrical outlets were exactly where the print said they would be. Now Jayco required I enclose my VIN # and when I received the pdf file it said which page to print out for the correct wiring diagram. There were about 6 or 8 different pages so apparently they made many changes on the 2007 Model 322FKS trailer that year.
Keystone may be the biggest RV manufacturer on the block but their customer service in responding to inquiries leaves much to be desired. Companies spend tons of money advertising and when a customer responds there's just silence???
Oh well onward and upward..
Old 05-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #15
Bob Landry

Well said, and that has been and continues to be my point. These trailers are not simply thrown together by production people who are given boxes of parts and spools of wire and told to just go out there and put it in. Everything that is done on theses trailers including mid-model year changes is carefully documented. Keystone just seems to be more protective than most of their design information. As far as owners getting together to compile diagrams and schematics, that would entail exposing the entire underneath and dropping ceilings on every model they make, and tracing out every wire, electrical component and pipe, not something most people if any would want to tackle.

A factory tour would be interesting to say the least, but don't think that because a worker would not have written instructions in front of him, something isn't being done to exact specifications and done the same way every time. Most of these people , like most assembly line workers, have done the same job thousands of times and once they are given a change, they quickly commit it to memory and move on.

My personal opinion is that if Keystone does not want to disclose any of this information, they should grow a set, belly up to the podium, and tell their customers their reasons for not wanting to support them and answer questions. It's not going to happen, and they will remain in their little cubicles and private offices with the secretary screening their calls.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:48 AM   #16
billb800si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
My personal opinion is that if Keystone does not want to disclose any of this information, they should grow a set, belly up to the podium, and tell their customers their reasons for not wanting to support them and answer questions. It's not going to happen, and they will remain in their little cubicles and private offices with the secretary screening their calls.
====================
Exactly.
meanwhile I'll keep peppering them with inquiries until I get a response. And if that mean's bugging people higher up the food chain- so be it.
I'm spending a chunk of money on the 2014 321RES and if I have questions at least I expect some courtesy with a reply.
Happy trails,
Old 05-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #17
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
====================
Exactly.
meanwhile I'll keep peppering them with inquiries until I get a response. And if that mean's bugging people higher up the food chain- so be it.
I'm spending a chunk of money on the 2014 321RES and if I have questions at least I expect some courtesy with a reply.
Happy trails,
If you are going to "keep peppering them" with inquiries about obtaining an electrical schematic for your TT, then you are going to end up being more frustrated and angry than you are now. We already know that Keystone does not, for whatever reason(s), provide this information to their customers.
No matter who you bug, the secretary or someone "higher up the food chain", they aren't going to give it to you.

But you are right in that a reply of some sort from them would certainly be something to expect. How difficult is it for Keystone to say, "Sorry, we don't give this information to our customers because........" ???
Old 05-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #18
billb800si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
But you are right in that a reply of some sort from them would certainly be something to expect. How difficult is it for Keystone to say, "Sorry, we don't give this information to our customers because........" ???
==============
Sorry, I should have explained myself better. Wasn't referring to diagrams or schematics. Meant to refer to answering questions in regard to just what is the construction of the Cougar High Country- what are the dimensions of the sofa bed & mattress, is the battery cutoff switch still available on the 2014 model- are the taillights on the 321RES L.E.D. or incandescent- is there a step light on the 2014 321RES.... Questions of that nature. I've requested answers about those and some other matters and all I get is SILENCE???
Happy trails,
Old 05-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #19
billb800si

Ladies & gentlemen, just received a nice reply from Jim Mac at Keystone. Said he is checking with the Production Mgr. to see if there is a construction illustration of the Cougar High Country lineup. I looked everywhere before contacting Keystone because I found a nice illustration of the Cougars but not the Cougar High Country. I wanted to know what the walls especially were laminated with (Luan- Azdel etc...) and what type of roof insulation..
My opinion of Keystone's customer service is improving...
Old 06-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #20
MarkECampr

Diagrams - What Diagrams ?

You'll have to get familiar with how things work before they break.
I've never used white and black for DC voltage but my new Bullet uses white from the battery to (frame) ground. I've even found a white jumper between hot leads of two terminal blocks. Sheeezze.
On top of that, the battery connections are so short that the wires are straight point-to-point from the battery and the case has to be all the way to one side of the battery rack so they'll reach.
I'm looking into getting new wires but lug sizes create a problem. Such as a 3/8" lug on the battery + goes to a 3/16" lug on a terminal block. The auto/marine stores don't carry them and the crimpers are fairly expensive. Oh well, I'm looking around at some of the auto "up fitters" and custom shops for some "made to order" services.
MarkECampr is offline   Reply With Quote