Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2018, 12:09 PM   #1
TackingPort

AC - Burnt Wire Smell in 2013 Bullet Premier

So we have been having a burning smell coming from our AC this past summer. I searched all kinds of forums and post to find answers. Had it checked out by our TulsaRV dealer and they found nothing and I paid them $57 for their effort. Took it on a trip and 30 seconds into AC start, got a burning smell from the AC. Yep, I took care of that issue with the dealer to my satisfaction.

Schedule did not allow until January for us to bring to Camping World for a 2nd opinion. THIS IS THE REAL REASON FOR THIS POST: The Service Tech opened the J-box and found the hot, negative and ground wires all taped together. There was a short. It actually got so hot it melted the wire nuts off and the electrical tape had burned. This was occurring every time we turned on the AC. IT CAME FROM THE FACTORY THAT WAY!! This was not tied to the Keystone AC Recall. So if you have a Bullet Premier, I strongly suggest you have a authorized service tech check things out before summer gets here.
TackingPort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:18 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Whoever wired it put the connectors on improperly. Just because they were taped together doesn't mean it was done wrong; just think about it...all those conductors go all through buildings, RVs etc. riding side by side inside the plastic sheath of the Romex or whatever was used. Something bare was left causing them to short out - close proximity to each other, properly insulated, is not a problem.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:24 PM   #3
TackingPort

Certainly understand Sourdough. Just saying folks might want to check their units. Given the proximity of the J-Box in the AC, vibration through cycling and running may have been the culprit. One might want to err on the side on caution by separating and isolating the wires. I think you might agree it is a much safer set up.
TackingPort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:04 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackingPort View Post
Certainly understand Sourdough. Just saying folks might want to check their units. Given the proximity of the J-Box in the AC, vibration through cycling and running may have been the culprit. One might want to err on the side on caution by separating and isolating the wires. I think you might agree it is a much safer set up.
Double checking couldn't hurt of course. I just wanted to point out that having wire connectors on the conductors and being taped together in and of itself is not going to cause the wiring to catch fire. Lots of new folks unfamiliar with wiring might go bonkers if they saw something like that.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet, bullet premier, burning smell, wiring