Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2018, 08:24 PM   #1
FF/PM

Floor separating from wall on slideout

I have a 283RETWE with three slideouts. On one of the living room slides, I noticed light showing through the carpet where the floor meets the slide wall. Outside the floor shows a slight warp downward, however it feels very solid. It seems it is structurally sound, but I want to seal this up. Is a simple silicon caulk what I need, or something more elaborate? Pics attached....Click image for larger version

Name:	20180707_101238[1].jpg
Views:	1456
Size:	455.2 KB
ID:	17405

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180707_105619[1].jpg
Views:	1471
Size:	369.3 KB
ID:	17406
FF/PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:56 AM   #2
Frank G

I just had to stop and go look at our unit. Yes, the same construction and slide out mechanism. The issue is the side wall of the slide-out pulling away from the floor. They are normally attached with screws going up through the floor into the side wall. You could attempt to find the screws, if they were put in at time of assembly, or add additional screws. The side wall is 3/4" at best, so there is not much room for error. It may be best to peal back the carpet a little and calk it. Silicone would not be a bad choice. Chances are that it came from the factory that way and you just found it. The support of the slide comes from the square tubing along the outside edge of the slide.

Going back out to check that side wall thickness.

Good Luck
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:48 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

First I'd ask, "do you have an extended warranty?"...

If so, report the problem and have it repaired properly.

Next, if you don't have an extended warranty, applying silicone to the inside will not stop water intrusion from the outside. It's apparent (with light shining through) that this is not "just an inside issue".... If you "pull back the carpet and dab some silicone over the hole" you'll still have the outside of the gap exposed to moisture and sooner or later (probably sooner) you're going to have a rotten floor.

It's apparent that the sidewall/floor union has separated, but why needs to be explored and that problem repaired before "sealing it up".....

Unless you're trading the RV next week, don't put sealant on the problem, fix the cause......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:20 AM   #4
GHen

I agree, needs to be up tight. At the least, sealant should be on outside to prevent water from getting to the floor. If not repaired properly, you could have a major floor issue in a couple years.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:21 AM   #5
FF/PM

That was my original thought, but was hoping for a quick fix I could handle. I agree it needs to be done right so off to the dealer I go! No warranty, but maybe they can do something since it is a structure sort of thing. Asking doesn't hurt.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:40 PM   #6
Mandersoon

Noticed this same issue on one of my slides the other day as well! Still investigating my specific issue, but I think a couple of 2" wood screws might fix the issue.
Mandersoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:02 AM   #7
FF/PM

Turns out Keystone only used 2 screws to secure the floor to the wall and both had broken. 5 in there now, and sealed up. Didn't cost much to have them fix it after they looked. I could have done it, but they already had it. I wanted to make sure the diagnosis was solid.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:29 AM   #8
Phdruss

I hope you have also water sealed the entire area. This is a common problem on slide out rooms for the beginning of water intrusion. The screws act as a wick and will attract dripping water. The wood will then absorb the water and and the rot starts. The best protection is to be sure the underside and the screws are all covered and sealed. Good luck.
Phdruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:44 AM   #9
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phdruss View Post
I hope you have also water sealed the entire area. This is a common problem on slide out rooms for the beginning of water intrusion. The screws act as a wick and will attract dripping water. The wood will then absorb the water and and the rot starts. The best protection is to be sure the underside and the screws are all covered and sealed. Good luck.

I really like your proactive approach. My question is, how would you protect them? On our unit it appears someone (dealer or factory) has penetrated the woven plastic to replace/tighten the screws and the material is now starting to fray. The outer edges of the slide appears to bear most of the weight when running the slides in or out. My first attempt to add protection was to apply a strip of Gorilla Tape. This didn't last long, and it was quite the job to undo the mess I created. Any type of sealant I can think of has a high coefficient of friction, and will get ripped off taking the fabric with it. On the newer models I look at they now have thin 4" wide pieces of plastic under there for the units to slide on. So, at this point I am trying to locate those pieces.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:14 AM   #10
Phdruss

When I had to replace the floor of my slide on my 2004 Travel Trailer I obtained some aluminum coil stock. I retro fitted it to slide behind my side panels with a 90 degree bend under the bottom. Used screws with rubber washers and sealant from underneath. When the room slides in there are no obstructions and the aluminum holds up good. The water now runs down the side and drips off the aluminum without ever nearing any of the screws.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:12 AM   #11
Frank G

Quote:
When I had to replace the floor of my slide on my 2004 Travel Trailer I obtained some aluminum coil stock. I retro fitted it to slide behind my side panels with a 90 degree bend under the bottom. Used screws with rubber washers and sealant from underneath. When the room slides in there are no obstructions and the aluminum holds up good. The water now runs down the side and drips off the aluminum without ever nearing any of the screws.

Thank you for that fix. I think I understand what you are saying but a picture would be great.

BTW our winter location is about 15 miles south of Brooksville.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:46 AM   #12
Phdruss

Travel Trailer is down at my Lake Okeechobee spot and stays there. I have my new Keystone 5th wheel up here for traveling. Have you checked out the Belle Parc RV resort in Brooksville yet?? 5 star.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:52 AM   #13
FF/PM

I don't know the 'how' part, but they used "ProFlex Sealant" on the inside and outside of the area where the two met. I can see some over application but it does not appear it will wear off and affect the seal. It appears that the sealant was applied, THEN the screws were tightened to create the barrier. They then added the sealant over each screw hole. I paid for this to be done, I can only hope and assume it was done that way.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:11 AM   #14
Frank G

Quote:
Travel Trailer is down at my Lake Okeechobee spot and stays there. I have my new Keystone 5th wheel up here for traveling. Have you checked out the Belle Parc RV resort in Brooksville yet?? 5 star.

If I left Travelers Rest Resort I would be single again, not good after 45 years.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:31 AM   #15
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF/PM View Post
Turns out Keystone only used 2 screws to secure the floor to the wall and both had broken. 5 in there now, and sealed up. Didn't cost much to have them fix it after they looked. I could have done it, but they already had it. I wanted to make sure the diagnosis was solid.
I know this is an old thread but do you happen to have pictures if how/where keystone put the screws that fixed this issue? Our slide is bowing downward too.
Nomadicchefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:13 AM   #16
Phdruss

Actually mine was a Prowler at the time. The sag usually comes from water intrusion. I am not familiar with Keystone screw placements. My fix was to tear up the interior floor, remove the damage and rebuild the floor. The bottom was covered with aluminum to prevent further water penetration.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:43 AM   #17
Mandersoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicchefs View Post
I know this is an old thread but do you happen to have pictures if how/where keystone put the screws that fixed this issue? Our slide is bowing downward too.

I pre-drilled a couple of holes just along the same area that the two original screws were in - they screw in to the plywood wall above it. I then put some silicone sealant in the holes and screwed in some 2.5" wood screws. After they were in, I put more silicone sealant in to close up the area.

In the picture attached, Keystone had two screws originally (depicted in black). I added three more, depicted in red. In retrospect, I probably might have put two more in, depicted in blue, next to the originals. Those would have needed large washers, as the OSB that they were screwed into was not very firm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScrewLocations.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	20487  
Mandersoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:34 AM   #18
Frank G

Quote:
We drove through Bell Parc earlier this year, quite nice. After looking through there web site it was easy to see the rates were double ours at Travelers Rest Resort and Golf Course.

Items Missing;
Golf Course
Onsite Volunteer Fire Department and EMS, Pasco County#33
Weekly 22 page Newspaper
Many Activity Buildings, with kitchens
Weekly Branson quality entertainment
Ham Radio
Screened Pool and spa, Handicap Accessible
Post Office
Lakes, Snakes, and Alligaters
Lastely… we are resident owned, debt free, not for profit and NOT FOR SALE
Old 02-28-2019, 09:42 AM   #19
FF/PM

Trailer is in storage, so can't get pics yet. But what has been described is what was done. Prior to replacing the screws, a bead of silicone was put in, then screwed, then another bead of silicone. 8 weeks of travel and no problems at all.

Tags
floor, slide, slideout