Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2018, 05:05 PM   #21
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
You win as you have not a clue as to what I'm saying 5200 vs 6000 pound capacity. Or if you are who I think you are, I'll be beating my head against the wall
It doesn't make a hoot what size axle is on the trailer as long as it will provide the load capacity of the vehicle certified GAWRs.

The standard for selecting tires for the RV trailer is the vehicle certified GAWR.

According to the trailer's certification label, nothing has changed. Anything (tires/wheels/axles) added that has a greater load capacity than the OE item it replaced is considered as having a load capacity reserve.

The load capacity (GVWR) of the trailer cannot be increased without certification. Recertification can only be done by the vehicle manufacturer of a certified vehicle modifier. In almost every instance recertification is more expensive than just trading for something with more load capacity.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:21 PM   #22
brodiegg

I had a 1500 ram that could tow the trailer but the payload was exceeded. So I researched for hrs and the bottom line I got, YOU CANNOT INCREASE PAYLOAD. You can change springs, add air bags, change tires, but you will always have the max payload sticker on your door and it will not change. It was a tough pill to swallow, but just got a truck that will safely tow my coach and legally.
brodiegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:55 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodiegg View Post
I had a 1500 ram that could tow the trailer but the payload was exceeded. So I researched for hrs and the bottom line I got, YOU CANNOT INCREASE PAYLOAD. You can change springs, add air bags, change tires, but you will always have the max payload sticker on your door and it will not change. It was a tough pill to swallow, but just got a truck that will safely tow my coach and legally.

Thank you for the post. I've been there as well as many other members. Others just think the numbers are hogwash....at least I sleep well and don't worry about running afoul of the law or killing/damaging my family trying to cut corners.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:04 AM   #24
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
It doesn't make a hoot what size axle is on the trailer as long as it will provide the load capacity of the vehicle certified GAWRs.

The standard for selecting tires for the RV trailer is the vehicle certified GAWR.

According to the trailer's certification label, nothing has changed. Anything (tires/wheels/axles) added that has a greater load capacity than the OE item it replaced is considered as having a load capacity reserve.

The load capacity (GVWR) of the trailer cannot be increased without certification. Recertification can only be done by the vehicle manufacturer of a certified vehicle modifier. In almost every instance recertification is more expensive than just trading for something with more load capacity.
Talk about thickheadedness - wotinheck do you think I said - and repeated myself on my last response to you!!!!!!!!!
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:44 AM   #25
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Yes, that's what I said: "Unfortunately, this does not change the yellow sticker on the side......."

The 5200 pound tires will be sufficiant if the OP uses the supplied or similar tires. If he went to a 7-8000 axle, then he would need to change to a heavier weighted tire
Than I misunderstood the wording in orange to mean a tire with more load capacity, which, of course, is not needed.

A physically heavier tire in the same size designation would be something like this: ST235/80R16 LRE is a Polyester tire, ST235/80R16 LRG can be a steel cased tire which would be much heavier because it's also regroovable.

Another example of a physically heavier tire would be two ST235/80R16 LRE tires with one having sidewall inserts which add weight to the tire.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:42 PM   #26
rayjoanlough

I was a letter carrier for 27yrs and I've seen Chiuahas that thought they were Dobermans!
rayjoanlough is offline   Reply With Quote