Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2018, 12:35 PM   #1
KCSA75

Winter Camping for the first time

Our anniversary is coming up and DW wants to go camping. I don't need anybody to twist my arm, but this is going to be our first cold-weather experience.

Weatherman is calling for 80 percent chance of snow the first night. Wish us luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	255
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	19191  

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #2
Chris P

Sounds like a good time,hopefully your heater is up to the test,Good luck,don't forget to post pics.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:43 PM   #3
Cbrez

We got a spring snow in South Dakota year before last. Couldn’t get the slides in the following morning. After a blinding flash of the obvious I realized the slide toppers were never going to roll up covered in snow. After a harrowing 30 min on the roof we were on our way. Next time I’ll spend an extra day at the cg and let the sun take care of the problem.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
KCSA75

As expected it was snowing when we left the house and snowing when we reached the campground. Didn't have any problems setting up other than my hands got cold.

Woke up to some pretty scenery but it was too cold outside to do much so other than some errands and dinner with some friends that live nearby, we spend most of the weekend in the Cougar. Finally had nice weather -- temps in the 40s -- as we were loading up to come home.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181109_094715.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	371.1 KB
ID:	19256   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181109_103952.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	338.7 KB
ID:	19257   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181109_104301.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	455.3 KB
ID:	19258  

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller
Old 11-11-2018, 06:04 PM   #5
Chris P

Wow that's some nice pics, Thanks for sharing. Almost holiday card worthy. Lol
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:36 PM   #6
travelin texans

Yes! Thanks for sharing, now winter is over for me, I've seen ALL the snow I care or hope to see this winter or any other winter.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:39 PM   #7
Canonman

Good on ya for going!! I'm super jealous. Nothing like a little "Cloud Dandruff" to make things look pretty
Nice photos, thanks for sharing
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:54 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
As expected it was snowing when we left the house and snowing when we reached the campground. Didn't have any problems setting up other than my hands got cold.

Woke up to some pretty scenery but it was too cold outside to do much so other than some errands and dinner with some friends that live nearby, we spend most of the weekend in the Cougar. Finally had nice weather -- temps in the 40s -- as we were loading up to come home.

Thanks for sharing; the pics are beautiful. Coming from a desert climate we LOVED buying a home in the mountains and the snow....back when. The snow is beautiful and having it around as you go about daily living is great. After a while it is a great pain. We LOVED snow in our new mountain home 20+ years ago. We spent thousands upon thousands of dollars to equip us and the family (we thought would come) for any contingency. It never was like we thought it would be but we did have some memorable holidays. After that, snow is something I will go look at if I want to …..and generally we don't. Living in it is far too much of an irritation so we just don't go to the mountains in the winter any longer and will sell the place....if we can ever stop long enough to do it. We enjoy using the RV and the bazillion points we have in timeshare...
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:53 PM   #9
cookinwitdiesel

Any tips/tricks for going out in the winter and managing the water system when having to de-winterize/winterize for an outing?

I got my TT (first RV) this fall and have not taken it out yet and am pretty sure I do not want to wait until spring to use it for the first time

I live in Northern Virginia where the weather is pretty volatile, it regularly is below freezing and sometimes gets as cold as single digits for a few days. Right now we just have the occasional frost (high 20s at night) but winter is still yet to hit full stride. I have already winterized for the season but that is a pretty simple process and can easily be repeated if needed.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #10
KCSA75

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
Any tips/tricks for going out in the winter and managing the water system when having to de-winterize/winterize for an outing?

I got my TT (first RV) this fall and have not taken it out yet and am pretty sure I do not want to wait until spring to use it for the first time

I live in Northern Virginia where the weather is pretty volatile, it regularly is below freezing and sometimes gets as cold as single digits for a few days. Right now we just have the occasional frost (high 20s at night) but winter is still yet to hit full stride. I have already winterized for the season but that is a pretty simple process and can easily be repeated if needed.
I had put pink stuff in the lines after our last trip a couple weeks ago just to be on the safe side. Water was shut off at the campsites, but available at the dump station. I hooked up the hose and flushed the pink stuff out of the systems before filling the fresh water tank for washing and flushing the toilet. We took bottled water to drink and cook with.

The last thing we did before pulling out was drain the water system well and filled with pink stuff.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:38 PM   #11
Ksupaul

Where did you guys go KC? When we first got ours in January we ran down to Melvern to the state park a few times. Decided to just park by the heated bath house and use bottled and jug water. Thinking of doing it your way a few times this year and just rewinterize when done.
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:08 PM   #12
cookinwitdiesel

So the main thing I guess is never be traveling with water in the lines/tanks? If at a campsite with heat on it should be ok though? And bottled water, good idea, so only really use the plumbing for bathroom use and maybe dishes.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:36 AM   #13
KCSA75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksupaul View Post
Where did you guys go KC? When we first got ours in January we ran down to Melvern to the state park a few times. Decided to just park by the heated bath house and use bottled and jug water. Thinking of doing it your way a few times this year and just rewinterize when done.
We went to Pomona State Park. Other than the handful of folks who "live" there, we had the whole park to ourselves.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:32 AM   #14
SkiSmuggs

You can just fill your fresh water tank, hopefully at the CG to avoid the possibility of freezing lines while traveling. Then drain the tank prior to leaving the CG via the fresh water drain and low point drains. Add pink stuff to the traps. Water jugs can be carried for drinking and flushing in the tow vehicle. I also like a back up heat system or two in case of a furnace problem or to conserve propane. A Mr Buddy heater with some one pound bottles and/or an electric space heater works for us.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:13 AM   #15
Wireman134

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
Our anniversary is coming up and DW wants to go camping. I don't need anybody to twist my arm, but this is going to be our first cold-weather experience.

Weatherman is calling for 80 percent chance of snow the first night. Wish us luck.
With over 1,000lb. hitch weight on a truck with a GVWR OF 7,200LBS. and max payload of less than 1,800lbs. Hope you wern't carrying to much weight in the bed of your truck. Less than ideal conditions with snow on the roads.
Wireman134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #16
Jberndt10

Here in Wisconsin the water is shut off at dump station. We dry camp, bringing bottled water and window wash fluid to flush. Looking forward to going in 2 weeks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1774CDAF-6DF7-4BAA-82D5-DC7957715AD8.jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	19355  
Jberndt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:58 AM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
You can just fill your fresh water tank, hopefully at the CG to avoid the possibility of freezing lines while traveling. Then drain the tank prior to leaving the CG via the fresh water drain and low point drains. Add pink stuff to the traps. Water jugs can be carried for drinking and flushing in the tow vehicle. I also like a back up heat system or two in case of a furnace problem or to conserve propane. A Mr Buddy heater with some one pound bottles and/or an electric space heater works for us.
You're not using the Mr Bubby propane heater indoors?
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:41 PM   #18
Rubicon100

We camp every weekend through hunting season and I just finally winterized ours. I don't worry too much about propane, if I keep the thermostat set on 68 we only go through a couple tanks a month and it's only about 11 bucks for a tank refill.
The kids love winter camping with their quads and I get plenty of time to hunt.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181013_191902.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	19358  
Rubicon100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:54 PM   #19
RK1978

We have made a couple of trips with temps in the teens and carry a small 110V compressor to blow out lines when we are ready to leave a campground. We carry jugs of water in case there is no city water available and leave our water tank empty. We use a small electric heater during the night and fire up the furnace in the morning to warm up the trailer. This system works fine although we generally try to go south where daily temps get up near or above freezing most of the time. Our trailer does not have any extra insulation in the bottom, so I would be very nervous about trying to push our luck by trying to camp in zero or below, or long term cold. We put up with the cold on the way to somewhere warmer, except at GCNP in the spring, and even there we go to PHX to warm up.
2008 Hideout 26B
2007 Dodge 3500
RK1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:34 PM   #20
kkmet

Keep Furnace Running

I camped in my 366 RDS last weekend and have the Zero Plus package and dual pane windows. I set the thermostat to 60 while out during the day and the temp dipped to 15 degrees and the kitchen sink line froze. I warmed up the trailer to 70 and it thawed after about an hour with no damage. I left the rig at 68 degrees for the next 5 days with no issue. But I also poured 2 gallons of rv antifreeze into each holding tank as insurance. At the end of camp I winterized using 2 more gallons after draining the water heater as normal with no issue.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	46492083_10212942991069996_5067612881550311424_n.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	19378  
kkmet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter