Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2018, 02:02 AM   #21
notanlines

Dakota Campground, 1800 spruce Street, Mitchell, South Dakota. Easy in and out, full service, cheap, mostly pull thru’s. Right off the interstate.
And I humbly apologize for offending you in my earlier post.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:02 AM   #22
mazboy

hey, a must, stop at the Spam Musesum off of I 90 near I 35

as for finding campgrounds, just pick a city area and google it for camping...easy as pie.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:14 AM   #23
glendar10

From what I read fishing bridge camp ground is closed all rest of year and all of 2019. I read it on there web site.
glendar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:30 AM   #24
Bnrc73

A couple of tips. 1- Avoid the Rapid City area the last week of July and the first two weeks of August, as the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally will have every camping spot filled up. 2- Leave time for a drive through Spearfish Canyon. It's the absolute most beautiful drive I've ever done. It takes less than an hour, but it's an hour you'll never forget. Have a safe trip.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:26 AM   #25
Canonman

BTW, The Spearfish Canyon drive can take you to Devils Tower.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 02:29 PM   #26
Wilco

Do not listen to the naysayers. If you waited until you had the perfect amount of time, you would not get there next year. I have taken trips like this since I graduated from high school. (A long weekend trip from Pittsburgh to Colorado Springs to visit a friend in the Air Force Academy.) You can always go back a second (or third) time to see what you missed.

Our latest trip was to Yellowstone in 2016.
2015 Catalina 33RETS
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:02 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco View Post
Do not listen to the naysayers. If you waited until you had the perfect amount of time, you would not get there next year. I have taken trips like this since I graduated from high school. (A long weekend trip from Pittsburgh to Colorado Springs to visit a friend in the Air Force Academy.) You can always go back a second (or third) time to see what you missed.

Our latest trip was to Yellowstone in 2016.

You sound young. No, you can't always make a "second (or third) trip" to those places you always wanted to go to...but choose to shortchange yourself on the time allowed so you never see it. It was always nice to think that life goes on forever and we are invincible - cancer doesn't happen; that head on accident won't happen; that infection in your leg doesn't destroy your leg....etc. No, you ALWAYS have time to put off stuff that you want to do....NOT.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:18 PM   #28
Wilco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You sound young. No, you can't always make a "second (or third) trip" to those places you always wanted to go to...but choose to shortchange yourself on the time allowed so you never see it. It was always nice to think that life goes on forever and we are invincible - cancer doesn't happen; that head on accident won't happen; that infection in your leg doesn't destroy your leg....etc. No, you ALWAYS have time to put off stuff that you want to do....NOT.
Yes, I am a young 66 year old. I do not put off a trip just because I do not have the time to make it a perfect trip. Take the best trip you can with the time you have available. That is why I have been to Yellowstone 4 times and have made numerous other trips to the Rockies and beyond.
2015 Catalina 33RETS
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:30 PM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco View Post
Yes, I am a young 66 year old. I do not put off a trip just because I do not have the time to make it a perfect trip. Take the best trip you can with the time you have available. That is why I have been to Yellowstone 4 times and have made numerous other trips to the Rockies and beyond.
Maybe you aren't that young , but, many folks don't, or won't, have the ability to "go to Yellowstone 4 times" etc. If, they only have one shot (which you should consider), one should take the time to see what they can; not hit everything in a whirlwind and never remember what they saw. We all have our views of things; I am fortunate that I can go and do anything I want, anywhere at any time. I wasn't always so fortunate and many others aren't either. That "2nd trip" may be cut short by the things I listed above. When the world is just spinning so beautifully and your best friend (wife) is diagnosed with cancer....NO, you don't have time for 4 trips, you DON't have time for another day. You need to take the time to see/enjoy whatever it is to the fullest....NOW.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:32 PM   #30
Zoe

Another hidden treasure

Pipestone National Monument is in southwestern Minnesota, not far off 90. Don’t know how far out of the way you are willing to go, but it is well worth the drive! Beautiful park with great trails, a museum visitor center and historical and cultural exhibits. A gem!! Enjoy your trip!
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:25 PM   #31
Jacketsbum

From Ohio We did Black Hills area, Custer State park(Mt Rushmore) Badlands, Grand Teton National Park, Yellowstone and Glacier National Park and back to Ohio in a three week period in July two years ago. You can cram a lot in a short time if you plan it right.
Jacketsbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:24 PM   #32
notanlines

Jackets, "You can cram a lot in a short time" I believe we all buy into what you're saying. But the OP is NOT willing to cram a lot into a short time. Holy shmoly, he wants to drive less than 8 hours a day covering the distances I already outlined. You added a week to his limit and admitted you had to cram to get it in.
I'm with you. My family travelled that way for years. We did the best we could in the time allotted. Don't ever let someone tell you that you can't leave Memphis on Thursday after work, ski two days at Snowshoe, West Virginia, and be home for work on Monday morning with the kids well rested. Of course they were, they didn't drive a lick.
I believe we are beating a dead horse. But it makes for good copy.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:01 AM   #33
glendar10

Yes we are beating a dead horse and who cares. as for the trip it can be done very easy as i plan to drive no more the 5 hours now and get to Yellowstone in 5 days stopping along the way. all the place that are on the route have been to more then once but there is always some you miss even if you stay two weeks in one place. I just take what is said and use what i think fit for us so the dead horse is dead.
It is not a hard trip and there is a lot even the missile base is on the way maybe i can out one in my truck ?
glendar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:03 AM   #34
Mainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblanch57 View Post
Glen, it can be done, we did it about five years ago. I think I used the good sam trip planner. At Devils tower, (back then) there was a campground right at the gate to devils tower. Nothing special but it had full hookups. If you have been to Yellowstone you already know that the only campground with hookups is at fishing bridge. I think some go the the west gate and there are many campgrounds there. Yeah it is a long drive but with planning you can do it. I stopped driving mid afternoon in order to rest on the days we were on the road. Yes, we would like to go back and spend more time, but time away together is a vacation in itself.
A sour note: Fishing Bridge will be closed for the 2019 season per the NPS website. Mammoth Hot Springs allowed rigs longer than 25' (front bikes to rear box) the other campgrounds didn't when we went through in 2015.

We have been to Yellowstone many times over the last 60+ years, from both coasts. Total time in the park or area is several months, still more we need to see.

If you are zooming to what you want to see, skip the RV parks on the way, crash at Walmart, HD, Lowes, etc. Hookup time is wasted time if you want to see anything when you get there.
Mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:48 AM   #35
S&D--Forever

Happy Thanksgiving everybody, sounds like a great trip. Devils Tower is amazing, be sure to stop at the prairie dog city near the entrance and watch for a while. Mt. Rushmore is amazing. We stayed at the Mt. Rushmore KOA at Palmer Gulch. This is a really nice place and central to all the good stuff. On the same trip we stayed at the West Yellowstone KOA. West Yellowstone is the perfect base camp to explore the park. They have everything you need in town. Be sure to check out the Grizzly Bear exhibit where live bears test and attempt to break into different kinds of trash receptacles. If you have kids they will love it. I understand time limits and sometimes you just need to hammer down and go have some fun. Enjoy your new Ford, we love ours.
S&D--Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:13 PM   #36
RK1978

A suggestion on planning your trip-get Delorme Topo software (Amazon etc since they were bought out by Garmin and they immediately stopped developing or supporting the Delorme software). This will allow you to test routes, set speed and road parameters, and print close ups of critical areas. I have not found anything comparable since those in charge decided that Google maps or equivalent are all we need for travel planning.
The interface is weird but you can save maps, save routes add roads and locations. Not a salesman or do I have any interest in Delorme/Garmin but have used this software since the days when it came on 5.25" floppies.
PR
RK1978 is offline   Reply With Quote