Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
Crazy Canucks
Permanent User Ban

Arrow The KOA Thread

We will be staying at several over the next few weeks and during our travels south next winter. We will rate them from 1 to 5. Feel free to add the ones you have stayed at and please use the same rating system
Old 07-25-2011, 01:36 AM   #2
richf28

Great Idea.I've stayed in KOA campgrounds throughout the US lower 48 numerous times throughout the last 10 years. Found some real dives and some exceptionally nice ones. Can't remember all of course but I will list a couple this year.

Meadville, PA. (2) Owners a bit moody. Employees inexperienced. Nice sites but need a bit of updating in the facilities.Check your site out they give you and ask for a change if not happy.

Westfield, NY (4) Friendly Staff. Updating the office and store. Nice to see the money is being put back into the place. Sites not large but they are very accomidating to get you comfortable.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
Old 07-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
cumminsdad08

KOA in jonestown pa-(4) can't remeber the exact name, but it was nice, just off of interstate I78, and right on St. Rt. 22, new owners in the last few years, lots seemed level, doggie area was in an akward place, in a corner that would be a hike for most sites, store was small and fairly empty, playground was ok, kinda small. not very impressed with the pool, seemed small but it was early spring so it was closed, oh and the ice cream was very expensive, but good. cable didn't work(new system), BUT there is great reception for antene, and didn't use the WiFi.

KOA in pinegrove, PA (3.75 ) (Twin groves)- it is few miles off of Inerstate 81 (pinegrove exit 100), right on St. Rt. 443, and very close to the appalacian(SP) trail. been there as a visitor in the past, and it seemed nice, with lots of "attractions". kinda pricey (UPDATE) stayed here over labor day weekend. site's are average size. just planted new grass so there is a lot of netting holding down the straw that the kids, and wife's, keep triping over. they also planted trees between the sites, which not being a problem now, seems like in 10-15 years it will make it tricky to navigate your trailer in (backin sites). this is defenetly(?) a "high roller" "resort" if you know what i mean. everyone seems really really nice, guests and owners. they have a small "amusment park" with some blow up rides a ferris wheel and a small train ride. they have a small arcade and an AWSOME ICE CREAM SHOP. i would have given it a 4 but the location sucks. a bunch of storms really sneek up on you, its tucked between two mountains and you don't see the storms coming. and there is a few other things that made me a little grumpy, BUT, i will be returning here for holloween weekend with my inlaws. they have TON'S of cabins which makes it nice for the family members that don't have the time to camp as much as we do. WIFI worked everytime, and cable had about 27 channels with all the hot stations.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
Old 08-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
North Texas Camper

We've had great experiences http://koa.com/campgrounds/carlsbad/ (4) and not so great experiences http://koa.com/campgrounds/amarillo/.(2) The people make a big difference.
Thunder and Nala our 4 legged shedding machines
Old 08-03-2011, 07:41 AM   #5
GMcKenzie

KOA at Wells Grey, north of Kamloops BC. Maybe a 3. Stayed there a week and would stay there again if I wanted to be in the area but would not make a point of it.

Recent trip to Grand Canyon/Vegas.

KOA at Meridian Idaho (3), only stayed on night (planned that way) but nothing exciting.

KOA in Salt Lake City (4-4.5) Liked it and would stay there again. Nice big lots and the staff were helpful. Even got to watch a Stanley Cup playoff game on their satellite.

KOA in Twin Falls Idaho (4) Except for the construction mess getting to the park, was also nice. Again, friendly helpful staff.

KOA Ellensburg WA. (4) Nice site on a river. Again only stayed 1 night but liked the campsite.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
Old 08-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
KanTC

Agree with prior rating for KOA Carlsbad (4) http://koa.com/campgrounds/carlsbad --- Sites are well-spaced, and grounds & restrooms are very clean.
Staff & owners are friendly, and office/store has basic supplies/groceries. Trees are young, so there's little to no shade... be prepared for summer
sun & spring winds in the desert! Basic cable TV, WiFi was good. Didn't use pool, hot tub, laundry, dog walk, or snack bar/cafe. For us, it's only
15 miles away and a good place for new RV shake-down trips. [Last stay: Apr 2010]

KOA Memphis (3) http://koa.com/campgrounds/memphis --- Just off Interstate 55, Exit 14, approx 3 miles north of Marion, Arkansas (northwest of Memphis, TN).
An older KOA, so sites & interior roads are a bit narrow, but wasn't a problem. Staff was very friendly and office, grounds, pool/facilities were clean & modern.
Some pull-thru's. Big trees/shade throughout most of park, so satellite reception may only be available at perimeter sites. No cable TV, but antenna reception okay.
Didn't use WiFi. Pricey for overnight IMHO, but a convenient stop along I-55. [Stayed: July 2010]
UPDATE: Summer 2011, call ahead if possible - some RV Parks along Mississippi River were damaged/closed due to spring floods & tornados...
this KOA was busy & probably will be until other parks are repaired.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:10 AM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

I would be interested in what the average campsite rate you have been paying at the various KOA's you have been staying at. Sounds like you are a member and would get a discount...????
Old 08-21-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Average cost ....$60... OUCH!!!
Old 08-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
byrdr1

Fancy Gap, VA

Fancy Gap, VA KOA
We have stayed at this campground several times.
It is a good place to stay if you want to explorer the Blue Ridge parkway, Hillsville, Va area. It is also a good place to stay over night if you are traveling on I-77 south or north. from the south its right at the top of Fancy Gap mountian just inside VA, from the north it is several miles south of the I-81 and I-77 junction.
Go down the mountian on US-52 and you're in Mt Airy(Mayberry, USA)NC. lots to do and see in this town. We have stayed in the summer and have gone back in the fall for the fall leave watching & halloween.

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
Old 08-25-2011, 02:20 AM   #10
dave-g

twin mountain in NH http://koa.com/campgrounds/twin-mountain/photos/ 4+. went there 2 years ago, super clean great staff.

Bar harbor ocean side- http://koa.com/campgrounds/bar-harbor-oceanside/
4+++. paid 90+ for a ocean front site and worth it, almost. Did not have a sewer hook up and it was 35 for a pump out. At $90+ honey truck should be included.

I have found or the most part- camp ground that are 60-80 per night have the money to keep the place nice and seem family oriented. I'm always glad to pay more for a good looking place.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
Old 08-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #11
CampJKL

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Texas Camper View Post
We've had great experiences http://koa.com/campgrounds/carlsbad/ (4) and not so great experiences http://koa.com/campgrounds/amarillo/.(2) The people make a big difference.
Glad to hear about the Carlsbad KOA...its there or Branson for Christmas Break.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:08 PM   #12
dave-g

Spent friday night here-
http://koa.com/campgrounds/williamsport/

very nice people. clean- new owner ( a few years ago) doing a great job.

I left my rv there- to ride out the storm.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
Old 08-28-2011, 12:41 AM   #13
Bigpuddie

We just stayed at the KOA in Harpers Ferry,WVA and had a great time. 2miles from Historical Harpers Ferry, next to battlefiled, close to Charlestown and shopping. You can go tubing or rafting/kayaking down the nearby rivers, hike trails from the KOA. They have a very nice pool and lots for kids to do. I give it a 4.5!

2011 Dodge 3500 SRW w/Cummins 6.7l and Bullydog (EGR, CAT, and DPF deleted)
2012 Raptor 365LEV
2006 Harley Davidson Road King
custom golf cart
Firestone 5k airbags
Reese 5th wheel hitch
Old 09-13-2011, 06:45 AM   #14
Jim W

We just got back from a trip out west to Rocky Mountain National Park and Yellowstone National Park. We stayed at several KOA's on the way out and back.
1. Des Moines West KOA (Adel IA), 3.5 good level site all gravel roads and site. FHU, 50amp sites, pull thru, $37.95 with KOA discount. Easy on and off from I80, but far enough away not to hear highway noise.

2. Hardin MT KOA, 4.5 Great owners, will help you set up if needed and will show you were to park. Park is old, number 4 KOA park but will maintained. FHU, 50amp sites, pull Thur, $38.04 with KOA discount.

3. Bismarck ND KOA, 4.5 Good sites, some seasonal campers but in a different area. Sites have a grass area and trees/bushes blocking other sites views. FHU, 50amp sites, pull Thur, $44.10 with KOA discount.

4. Oakdale WI KOA, 3.5 Great owner he cleans and sanitize the water spigot before you hook-up to the fresh water supply. Level long site, easy on and off from I90/94, but not far enough away to hear highway noise. Our site was less than 1/4 mile from I90/94. Durning the night it is bright enough to read a book outside from street lights and from lighted highway signs. FHU, 50amp sites, pull thru, $37.89 with KOA discount.

Jim W.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #15
campingcpl

We are planning a trip to Yellowstone this next May and we will be leaving northern Indiana and traveling up to North East South Dakota for a few days then heading to Yellowstone from there. We are planning on stopping for the night in Miles City, MT. and was looking at staying at the KOA there (http://koa.com/campgrounds/miles-city/). I was wondering if anyone has stayed at this KOA and can give me some insight on it? There hasn't been a lot of reviews on this KOA and the reviews have been pretty mixed from good to bad. From the web sit it looks like it's pretty clean but have learned in the past that web sits can be decieving. Any input would be appreciated or any suggestions on another campground in the area would be appreciated too.
Thanks!

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
Old 09-18-2011, 05:50 PM   #16
cumminsdad08

we Just returned from the "Allentown" (really more like New Tripoli) KOA: (4) they advertise in allentown, but really about 30 min west of allentown,(which worked for us). it was very nice, alcohol free which was a nice change up. they are very strict with rules tho, which is fine buy us cause we are too wifi was very good, prolly cause the place is very small. we were in site 56 which was right along the creek, and was very wide, but kinda short. i almost needed cones for the front of the trailer. seemed like a nice mix up of seasonals and transits. the playgrounds were extreamely nice and kept the children busy for sevral hours. they do have a hiking trial with a really crappy "senic overlook". i didn't see a peice of trash sit very long at all. the empolyee's were on top of everything. we didn't take the pup with this time, we were rushed out of the house after work, but i did take notice that the doggie area was really out of the way, actually it was in the drive way "outside" of the campground, so it was prolly a good idea to leave her home this time. the wash house's were at the office, which i would have thought to be a little out of the way. they claimed to have a "satalite restroom" but we never did find that one. i would have given this campground a 5 but there really wasn't a whole lot to do, but watch the kids play and sit around the fire. which isn't a totally bad thing, but it does get old after a few hours. all in all it was nice. almost every review i have seen was not very good, but dont' let them scare you away. we stayed here on a buy one night get one night free. we will return, again, at somepoint.

as a side note, we went to the lehigh valley zoo, and it was small, but by far the best zoo we been too yet. only 10 mins away
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
Old 10-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #17
Bugsy432

We have been KOA members for the past 5 years. Most are good but there are 1 or 2 we've been to I won't return to. The ones that stand out as great are:

Sugarloaf Key KOA - Especially popular with snowbirds and sites aren't the largest but, it's a clean and fun place. Pricey - $104/night

Hatteras KOA - Very family friendly and like Sugarloaf, right on the Atlantic ocean. Clean, nice size sites and friendly folks.....

2010 CAMPING NIGHTS - 76!
2011 CAMPING NIGHTS - 27

Places we have camped
Old 10-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #18
Festus2
Site Team

Bugsy:
Surely, you must be kidding! $104 per night!!! Other than being a "clean and a fun place" what other goodies do you get for that outrageous price?? Does that include meals? You have just reinforced my impression of KOA ----- vastly overpriced and highly over-rated. They do have, however, a lot of nerve!
Old 10-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #19
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Bugsy:
Surely, you must be kidding! $104 per night!!! Other than being a "clean and a fun place" what other goodies do you get for that outrageous price?? Does that include meals? You have just reinforced my impression of KOA ----- vastly overpriced and highly over-rated. They do have, however, a lot of nerve!
Land is at a premium in the Key's. This I understand ...but .... You guys aren't gonna believe this ... I'm speechless, Hank
Old 10-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #20
hankaye

Howdy ALL;

Thing to remember about the Fl. Keys, EVERYTHING has to be shipped in except the seafood and sunshine.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ they add up quick.

hankaye

I ain't speechless I'm chuckling Place I'm headed to in N.M. is $125.00 per Month + elect. @ 15 cents k/hr ...

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
Closed Thread