Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2018, 08:41 AM   #41
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
You'll find out when you don't make your turns wide enough.

Out here in rural Alberta concrete curbs are harder to find than certain type of politician !

I do get the drift though.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:48 AM   #42
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
Out here in rural Alberta concrete curbs are harder to find than certain type of politician !

I do get the drift though.

In this RV park they have a caution sign as you enter warning about curb strikes. Bottom line, they aren't responsible for damages you may suffer from striking their curbs with your tires.

Fort Bliss, El Paso, TX.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=12491
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:40 AM   #43
srvnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Per your similar question on another thread, they aren't 5 pounds heavier, they are 1.2 pounds lighter than the Carlisle tires.
Sorry for the double post, my reply from the other post:

Sidewall scuff guard: I have cringed a few times looking in my rear view mirror "scuffing" tires (lightly at very slow speeds) on a curb sometimes it's just seems unavoidable. This scuff guard seems to work well as I incurred no visible damage on these occasions. Obviously a good place for 2 pounds of extra protection.

Not the only "significant difference" as it is also made in the USA, the biggest plus for me for lots of reasons, after several Chins bomb blowouts.

I did notice the "1/32" difference, which I might consider on a passenger type vehicle where tread wear is a concerned. I have never worn down a trailer ST tire tread even remotely thin.

My question was why (and where too I guess) they are heavier. It cant be a bad thing.

2013 Passport 2890RL GT
2015 Silverado CC LTZ 4x 2500 Duramax
HB Cal
srvnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:21 PM   #44
abby33

Marathon Bombs

I had a very similar experience to what Alley Cat went thru just a few weeks ago. In Florida two Marathons (not quite 3 years old) exploded within 150 miles. This was two separate trips, about two weeks apart. When #2 blew up, I was able to get hold of Davis tire in Jacksonville. They had Endurance Load range E's in stock. They came out and put on 4 new ones. Not cheap, but I was on my way in just a couple of hours. Headed back to upstate NY with no further issues.
abby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:46 AM   #45
cenders

Weight rating

Just a quick note regarding these tires. I was about to buy them for my toy hauler but stopped at at the last minute.

Despite being a load rating of "E", the max weight for these Goodyear Endurance tires is 3420. Every other tire on the market seems to have a load rating of 3520 for "E". So, I was about to lose 400lbs of towing capacity. I have 7000lb axles, and need to be at or above that 3500 mark.
cenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:31 PM   #46
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenders View Post
Just a quick note regarding these tires. I was about to buy them for my toy hauler but stopped at at the last minute.

Despite being a load rating of "E", the max weight for these Goodyear Endurance tires is 3420. Every other tire on the market seems to have a load rating of 3520 for "E". So, I was about to lose 400lbs of towing capacity. I have 7000lb axles, and need to be at or above that 3500 mark.
It's very probable that the actual rating for your axles is 6880 ea. The vehicle manufacturer's rating will be on the certification label.

During the time frame for the manufacture date of your trailer was built Keystone was going round and round with NHTSA. It was about axle loads for 7000# (Axle manufacturer certification) axles fitted with ST235/85R16E tires. One of the tire standards in the FMVSS building requirements states that tires of the same size having different load capacities must default to the lowest load capacity unless the vehicle manufacturer stipulates the OE tires must be above 3500# for 7000# axle (Vehicle manufacturer certification) fitments. The older GY Marathons, Maxxis and the new GY endurance ST tires are all rated at 3420# at 80 PSI. All other ST tires are either 3500# or 3520# at 80 PSI.

I know of at least three Keystone certification label recalls for incorrect tire fitments on 7000# axles between 2010 & 2015. Keystone's fix was to issue new certification label & cargo label to resolve the problem. Since then they have been smart enough - in most cases - to insure the trailer has the proper documentation for tire fitments.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:51 PM   #47
byrdr1

I have the new endurance tire on my 5er after my incident last august.
I have 4 trips on them.
500, 600,500,650 miles so 2250 total on them. yes the tread looks light. but with the E rating and then the new speed rating. I am very pleased with them.
i have had the factory set on there, 2 sets of maxxis next, now the endurance on a
9 year old camper now.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:57 PM   #48
Hookoil

So I had a travel trailer last year and put on the GY Endurance and could not be more pleased. The trailer towed so much better and felt a lot better when cornering. The new tires did not squat like the old ones did. This year I bought a new 5th wheel and plan on swapping out the factory tires with either these endurance tires or Sailun 637 tires. I have not made my mind up on which set to go with.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:54 PM   #49
buzzcop63

Winter update on my Goodyear tires, now have 1,000 miles on tires purchased on 5/3/2017. Low millage and a long time sitting in one spot is a lot worse for tires then moving and keeping all the chemicals in the tires doing their job. So far the tires have performed perfectly, I keep watch when on the road and or sitting with Tire Minder and the tires do not seem to loos much PSI and have remained well withing temperature rating when traveling during the hot summer months. Have a much more confident feeling when traveling since up grading to Goodyear E rated. From all the writers writing in and talking to RV owners and Tire shops it would seem to me that the more pounds the tire can Carrie over the weight of the trailer the better the chance of having no problems.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:58 PM   #50
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzcop63 View Post
Winter update on my Goodyear tires, now have 1,000 miles on tires purchased on 5/3/2017. Low millage and a long time sitting in one spot is a lot worse for tires then moving and keeping all the chemicals in the tires doing their job. So far the tires have performed perfectly, I keep watch when on the road and or sitting with Tire Minder and the tires do not seem to loos much PSI and have remained well withing temperature rating when traveling during the hot summer months. Have a much more confident feeling when traveling since up grading to Goodyear E rated. From all the writers writing in and talking to RV owners and Tire shops it would seem to me that the more pounds the tire can Carrie over the weight of the trailer the better the chance of having no problems.
^^^Ditto for me.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:59 PM   #51
OHIOJERRY

Maybe I'm lucky or maybe I'm pushing my luck, but when every camping season ends I tell myself I'll get rid of my Trailer Kings and put on Endurances at the start of the next season. The Trailer Kings now have 13,700 miles on the and show no signs of wear issues. I just make sure I'm not overloaded and drive at the speed limits with a 65 maximum.
The travel trailer is a 2016 Outback 326RL.
OHIOJERRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:21 PM   #52
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOJERRY View Post
Maybe I'm lucky or maybe I'm pushing my luck, but when every camping season ends I tell myself I'll get rid of my Trailer Kings and put on Endurances at the start of the next season. The Trailer Kings now have 13,700 miles on the and show no signs of wear issues. I just make sure I'm not overloaded and drive at the speed limits with a 65 maximum.
Good for you! Based on all available experience you ARE pushing your luck. But, many like to do that. And, we can always "wait" until next season to save a few hundred bucks....right? And those Trailer Kings...good for 15-20k right? Because "we" are special? Right? That's what I would do!!…..Except I had one destruct at 62mph and running 65psi (max) and 1 1/2 years old with approx. 4500 miles on them. 7k in damages with cut LP lines, underbelly, wheel well etc.

I've ran new Carlisle ST tires for 2-3 years....good tires. No problems, no issues...and more importantly, no worries as I'm driving down the road worrying about a catastrophic event. Anyone running a Trailer King (China Bomb) down the highway thinking they have the "answer" because they observe 65 mph and the max inflation pressure is just waiting for the
"catastrophic event".....knowingly.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:30 PM   #53
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOJERRY View Post
Just so you know. My TK's looked excellent (from the outside) and no way could I see the interior of the tire while it was mounted on my trailer. Only after I took them off (I bought Carlisle RH) did I see the time bomb waiting to explode. Here, take a look for yourself at what those "tires that show no signs of wear issues" might look like on the inside, where you can't see it until you really do get "lucky" by taking them off. If you're not so lucky, you may lose the side of your trailer when they happen to "let go".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	19528   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	19529   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	19530  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:39 AM   #54
notanlines

Jerry, can you see all the smirks on the faces of the followers across North America? Those smirks are on faces of those of us who KNOW. We don't actually CARE if your tires blow or not. You can chose to run those babies 'til they're bald for all we care. As long as RV'ers don't make recommendations to newbies that they are safe to run then we are all square here.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #55
66joej

^^^Change them next spring before your first camping trip. Listen to the voice of experience. JMO YMMV

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:19 PM   #56
OHIOJERRY

I'll definitely change out the Tks this spring. Right now my camper is hibernating in a cave in Pennsylvania. I've seen bad and good about the GY Endurance. Should I be looking more towards Maxxis, Saluns or Carlisle?
Old 12-07-2018, 02:32 AM   #57
notanlines

Jerry, there are very few complaints on this forum with any of the four brands you mention. Carlisle comes to the top if money is a factor. Wally World will put you on the road in the neighborhood of $75.00 per tire. Sailuns became our go-to tire on previous RV's and never had the first problem, never even lost the first pound of pressure. Search this site closely. There are literally dozens of good threads on tire brands.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:52 AM   #58
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Just so you know. My TK's looked excellent (from the outside) and no way could I see the interior of the tire while it was mounted on my trailer. Only after I took them off (I bought Carlisle RH) did I see the time bomb waiting to explode. Here, take a look for yourself at what those "tires that show no signs of wear issues" might look like on the inside, where you can't see it until you really do get "lucky" by taking them off. If you're not so lucky, you may lose the side of your trailer when they happen to "let go".
I didn't have my phone on me when my TK's were replaced but they looked just like John's did. I changed mine out at year 4 but that's only because we didn't use it at all the year before, 2 neck surgeries that year. Just as John's pictures illustrate the tires looked perfect on the outside. The inside looked like a sack of baseballs. Thank God I got rid of them when I did. I still get cold chills thinking that we were riding around on those. No more playing Russian Roulette with trailer tires.
Think of it this way, would you knowingly ride around with hand grenades in your tires? Now you know. What you do with the information is your business.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #59
OHIOJERRY

Thanks notanlines and flybouy. I'll let you know what mine look like when I change them out in the spring.
Regards
Old 12-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #60
Tireman9

Quote:
The "J" rating on the tires in your link is NOT a "load/ply" rating which we normally see as G-14 ply, F- 12 ply, E-10 ply, D-8 ply, C-6 ply. A load range J tire is a 18 ply tire with a PSI recommendation of 127 PSI, probably much heavier than you'd ever want to put on a travel trailer of any size or weight. The "J" has no bearing on the ply rating or the load rating, but is a "designator" to identify the loading range not the ply ratings, just as the speed rating letters, L, M, Q, Z all represent different speed ratings for the tires.

The tires in your link are 225 75R15 LRD (8 ply) tires rated to carry a maximum of 2540 pounds at 65 PSI. That is the typical load rating for ALL tires of that size and that ply rating at that PSI.

"J" has got to be a typo.

The initial description shows D/8 which is the Load Range / Ply Rating.