Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2016, 07:31 AM   #1
BingoBoy.1957

Angry Cougar X Lite 26 RLS / Heater Issues

Hi everyone, please bear with me I'm new to this posting stuff! Has any one else had issues with the heater's in these units? Two (2) trips to the dealer & unit still doesn't operate what I feel is correctly. The unit now does make set-point and holds it, however the blower motor never shuts down. With that said I will say that the burner does cycle, at first it's (the burner) on for approx 4 min then off for 2-3 min then back on as the night went on this cycle time did get shorter, it did this for 9+ hours. Now if I'm dry camping this is going to EAT the batteries, not to mention the ware it's doing to the furnace it's self ! PLEASE if anyone has had any experience with something of this nature please advise !!!

Thanks to all !
Jim
BingoBoy.1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:57 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Re: Cougar X Lite 26 RLS / Heater Issues

Welcome to the forum!!

Couple of questions. What is the outside temp and what is the set temp on the thermostat? RV furnaces do run the fan for a time after set point is reached to cool the manifold. I don't recall what that length of time is, but is it possible that you have a vent blowing on or near the thermostat, and during the cool down cycle the thermostat is reading a temp drop and commanding heat again?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:38 AM   #3
BingoBoy.1957

Thank you for the quick reply, the OS Temp was no less than 30 deg, on both occasions, the temp SP was 68 deg on both occasions. On the 1st occasion the unit never even reached SP & lost temp through-out the night, waking in the morning to a temp of 54 deg in the coach! I did take unit to the shop after that trip & they said they found 2+ extra feet of duct line snaked around in the underbelly. After removal (spending night in it last night) at least it does reach SP & holds it, but requires the unit running constantly. There is not a vent near the T-Stat. The T-Stat is located (I feel in a strange place) near the ceiling in a corner next to the slide out on the rear wall. My vents are on the floor as most of the 5th wheels are and they very in CFM displacement, from 1.7 to the highest being 8.6. This I checked with a anemometer. The X-Lites have had the T-Stats lactated in the same location from 2015 & the 2017 has it as will.
Jim
Old 11-27-2016, 09:21 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

OK, here's a "very basic" explanation of the sequence of operation for your furnace after that, I'll post a couple of "SWAG" ideas for you to consider.

This is generic description of RV furnace operation and applies to most DSI type furnaces.
1. The Thermostat calls for heat, sending DC current to the furnace.
2. A Time Delay Relay is energized and passes battery DC power to the blower motor.
3. The blower motor and fans spin, pulling air from the Air Return and generating a stream of air through the Heat Exchanger and out the Ducts. At the same time another fan pulls air from the Combustion Air Intake into the Combustion Chamber and out the Exhaust.
4. The fan air stream causes the Sail switch to close as the blower gets near full speed.
5. Power flows to the High Limit Switch and onward to the Control Circuit Board.
6. The Control Circuit Board opens the gas valve and generates a spark at the DSI Igniter.
7. The Burner ignites, building heat in the Combustion Chamber.
8. Heat passes through the Heat Exchanger, warming the air circulating through the Ducts.
9. The Thermostat reaches the Set Temperature and opens.
10. Power is removed from the Control Board and the Burner shuts down.
11. The fan continues to run to cool the furnace, until the Time Delay Relay opens again.

Now for my SWAG's. First, the thermostat might be short cycling (as chuckster said) causing the furnace to cycle prematurely and never allowing enough "furnace burner time" to adequately heat the interior air. Maybe you can take a piece of insulation foam, build a box to tape over the thermostat to insulate it from any hot air that might be causing it to short cycle. If the trailer warms up, it's the thermostat location. ?????

Second, The "high limit switch" located on the burner box may be defective. If it opens, the furnace will shut down gas flow and the fan will continue to operate to purge the heat from the burner box. Once the "high limit switch" closes again, the furnace will resume operation. This "short cycling" may only allow your furnace burner to operate for a minute or two, then cool down (repeatedly) which would never allow warm air to be blown from the ducts for enough time to warm the trailer.

Third, It may be a plugged air vent (outside your trailer) that is causing the "high limit switch" to close. You need "clear cool air" flowing into the vent to get enough "hot air out" to prevent the "high limit switch" from opening. It may be that the furnace is not installed properly on the vent assembly. ???

Fourth, Air flow through the heat exchanger has to be high enough to maintain the "sail switch" in the closed position. If the velocity of air at the sail switch falls, the gas valve will close and the furnace will go into "cool down" mode. Once the fan shuts off (about 90 seconds after gas valve closure) the thermostat will call for heat and the system begins all over again. ???

You might want to check into these few "possibilities" and see if any of them might be your problem.

Honestly, if your trailer is new, the dealership should be fixing it, but with your experiences so far, I can understand your reluctance to return for yet another "bit of guesswork" from them. I would wonder, if they haven't made progress so far, will they on the next attempt????

Anyway, consider these and keep us posted on your findings.....

Here is a link to the best "furnace service manual" I've found online. There's a detailed explanation of the sequence of operation, some great troubleshooting guides (although none for your problem) and some good, detailed schematics of the variety of Suburban RV furnace models.
http://www.bdub.net/manuals/Suburban_Service_Manual.pdf

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:41 AM   #5
BingoBoy.1957

Thank you for your feed back, seeing as this is a new (2016) unit & I have never experienced this with any of my other units it's kinda taken me back. On your 4 note you mentioned the fan shutting down. Mine never shuts off, only the burner drops off, blower stays on. This I know after spending the night in it last night, for over 9 hrs... Any rate I will be returning the unit once again to the shop for once again another warranty visit. Fun part being getting the appointment, then haling it an hour one way !!!
Jim
Old 12-10-2016, 05:36 PM   #6
temccarthy1

Do have the thermostat fan setting on " auto"? If you have it on "hi" or "lo", the fan will run all the time. On the "Auto' setting, it will cycle on before the furnace burner and then about 60 seconds later will shut off after burner goes out. I learned this the hard way too!

Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet Ultralite 285RLS TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L V8 Triton
Equalizer E2 WD Hitch
temccarthy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 03:50 AM   #7
MG72B

Hello, I have the same model but a 2016. I don't have that problem but could it be the thermostat? I would start with that. Could be faulty? One more thing, ask your dealer if you can stay in his lot for the night.
MG72B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:51 PM   #8
Bingo 57

2016 x-lite heater issues

Sorry for the long laps, season has not been a good in. The t-stat was the 1st thing replaced. The t-stat has always been set to "auto". As of this post the unit is at the shop again, hoping for a better & final resolve. After reading the manual for the heater it clearly states for the stat to be mounted on an interior bulkhead no higher than 41/2 feet from the floor. From 2015 through 2017 the stat is located in the same location, leading me to believe that it must work up where it is located. Why my unit is not working properly has left a bad taste in my mouth for this units. The rest of the trailer I like very much!
Bingo 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:19 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Is the furnace a Suburban? I just dealt with a unit last week that did what you describe. Replaced the high limit switch. Did better but also found if I tapped on the 12V side of the power distribution panel, the thermostat would lose power and the flame would go out. Then tap again and things would power up and furnace would light again. Might be worth a look.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:04 AM   #10
Bingo 57

Thanks for the reply, and yes it is a Suburban. I hesitate to dig into it my self at this time, nor should I have to seeing as that is what the warrante is for, right? I am however not oppose to dong so in 3 mo and 4 days. It has just roo-end what was supposed to be a good experience.
Regards!
Old 01-14-2017, 06:30 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo 57 View Post
Thanks for the reply, and yes it is a Suburban. I hesitate to dig into it my self at this time, nor should I have to seeing as that is what the warrante is for, right? I am however not oppose to dong so in 3 mo and 4 days. It has just roo-end what was supposed to be a good experience.
Regards!
You do have "options", even at this point. First, the furnace has a two year warranty that is managed by the manufacturer (Suburban not Keystone) after the one year RV warranty has expired. Second, Suburban has "service centers" located in most areas of the country and many of them are not "your RV dealership". You might want to review your furnace owner's manual and take a look at the warranty information to learn how to keep getting it repaired after Keystone's warranty expires and also determine which repair facility might be better enabled to repair it rather than take it back to your dealership.

Note: Even though the Keystone warranty expires in 3 months/4 days, if they haven't repaired the furnace problem, THEY should keep trying until it's repaired under the warranty obligation. The question for you is: Do I let them keep trying and if so, for how long? As I said, I'd look for a "Suburban furnace authorized repair facility" that is not "that RV dealer" .....

Again, Good Luck !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:31 AM   #12
Bingo 57

heater / furnace issues

Sir, thank you so much for your response! I was not aware of the "units" 2 year coverage, and I will research that. At this point I'm just hoping that the shop I've been taking it to will 'get-r-done'. Note they are not the selling dealership, but have been very good to deal with, and very accommodating. Unlike the selling dealership. I'll say no more regarding them. Again thanks for your time & I will keep posting as this problem unfolds.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:41 AM   #13
WiscTraveler

Just my 2 cents to add to this. I have a 2017 Cougar X-Lite 29RES and experienced some of the same problem. I did not have the extended running of the blower motor but unit did take a while to get to set temperature to cycle off. Air flow did not seem to be correct from registers. Removed furnace grill and checking furnace I could feel a lot of air coming from around furnace where the ducts connect. Removed two screws and laid the cover back to find someone at the factory had not installed it correctly and it was bent and out of shape and did not seal correctly. After correcting the cover the air flow from the registers improved. I also used aluminum tape to seal off the area where the gas line comes in.
WiscTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:36 AM   #14
Bingo 57

Thank you sir! I'm hoping that upon return of the unit it will function as it should, & as I would expect it to. I'm not new to RV'ing, just to this unit. It was to be my "retirement" unit. I'm now having my dough's!
Regards
Old 01-28-2017, 07:34 PM   #15
Bingo 57

XLITE Heater Issues

Just tagging back in, the unit has been to the shop 2 wk's now & no word from them. When I get it back I'll do another check in.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:18 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo 57 View Post
Just tagging back in, the unit has been to the shop 2 wk's now & no word from them. When I get it back I'll do another check in.

They should have given you an estimated time line...if not, the dealership failed and you should have held them to one. If it's been two weeks you need to be in contact with the service manager for an explanation and date for the completed repairs.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:47 AM   #17
Bingo 57

Yes sir your correct, however being the middle of winter I was just kind-of thinking that maybe if I don't "rush" them it may come back fixed this time! Not like I'm going to be taking it out right away. However the first chance I do get (after I have it back ) I will be staying the night in it, just to see how it works.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:10 AM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

I would give them a friendly call. And when they say it's done, go to the dealership and have them demonstrate that will operate as designed Before you hitch up.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:32 PM   #19
Bingo 57

Heater Issues

Yes sir, that is something I have learned through this hole "new trailer" ordeal is making them show me that it works. Had that struggle with a water line leak ! Thanks! I was planing on the call tomorrow...
Old 01-30-2017, 03:11 AM   #20
notanlines

Bingo, just fooling around I found about 4 mobile repair companies within 20 miles of you.
http://www.airxcel.com/suburban/wher...0921&radius=25
If you still have problems give one a call.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, heat, heater