Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2019, 09:21 AM   #1
PinTwister

Blow out plug

I have been looking at blow out plugs. Some have a small hole and some have a large hole. I assume the small hole is to restrict air flow so less damage can be done to the water system. I have a compressor and I have an inline pressure regulator set at 25psi.
I have checked it with both types of plugs and both show 25psi. But when I cover the open plugs with my hand I can feel more air coming through the plug with the larger hole, even though they both register 25psi in a tire gauge. Can someone with a good understanding of air pressure and flow advise me as to which one would be better.
Timbren Rear Suspension
PinTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:48 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinTwister View Post
I have been looking at blow out plugs. Some have a small hole and some have a large hole. I assume the small hole is to restrict air flow so less damage can be done to the water system. I have a compressor and I have an inline pressure regulator set at 25psi.
I have checked it with both types of plugs and both show 25psi. But when I cover the open plugs with my hand I can feel more air coming through the plug with the larger hole, even though they both register 25psi in a tire gauge. Can someone with a good understanding of air pressure and flow advise me as to which one would be better.
It appears that you are confusing pressure with volume . (psi with cfm) Your pressure is regulated but the larger hole allows more volume of air to pass. It is this difference in flow that you feel but pressure is still the same.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:52 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

I don't think the size of the inlet hole on the blow out plug is going to make that much difference. It would not restrict pressure, only flow. If you have a regulator on the discharge or outlet side of the compressor just make sure you don't exceed 50 psi. I don't go over 30 psi because I just don't see where the extra pressure is needed to carry the water out.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote