Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2018, 06:24 AM   #1
anthonbloom

Dometic Fridge door fell off

My wife opened the door to our Dometic 2852 fridge and the door fell on the floor, spilling all the milk and stuff all over. The lower hinge had broken off and, like everything I find in my RVs is crap, the hinge is not a replaceable part and is integral with the door. In my workshop I made up a metal plate to strengthen the fracture zone and fashioned a metal strap to go around rhe outside of the hinge. A liberal dosing of epoxy and a bunch of pop rivets had the thing reattached and ready for some black paint. Of course there is nothing solid to attach to as the door is made of plastic, so I was hoping that many fasteners would spread the load sufficiently.
Well, I got a couple of months out of it before it needed a rerepair and this weekend, two weeks later, I had to rererepair it. A replacement door is about US$250.00 but I have found reference to a repair kit for $19.00 from All Seasons RV Appliance Parts and Service in Elkhard, IN although I have not yet been able to contact them to confirm. I may try to devise a stronger repair, we shall see.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180510_140229.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	18038   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180510_140240.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	18039   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180510_142055.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	18040   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180511_081225.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	18041  
anthonbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:43 AM   #2
gkainz

just happened to my friend a few months ago. They replaced the door. I was shocked (oh, but not really surprised) that the fix was to replace the whole door. Interested to hear how the repair kit works out for you, if you go that way, or a DIY fix that works.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:40 AM   #3
anthonbloom

Fixed

Well, the door fell off again after another couple of trips and the emergency repair failed a couple of weeks after that, so I reached out to the internet. I called a place that was rumoured to have a repair kit for $18.95, but it turned out that the kit was to repair the hinge pin hole if it was cracked, but couldn't be used to repair the hinge that had had separated from the door. I had it in mind to make up a longer strap to run along the bottom of the door and up the side, but I decided to drop in to see the local RV place to find the cost and availability of a new door. It took 10 minutes of internet searching for them to be unable to find a part number on their system, so I gave them the number I had found and they were able to quote me $399 Canadian before taxes......As I was turning to leave they asked me to hold on a minute....apparently they had a complete 1852 fridge out back... no thanks...but after disappearing for another 10 minutes he reappeared with a big box and.....the correct door with a couple of little scratches on the plastic. A little bit of bargaining and I left with the door for $200 cash and now the door falling off problem is solved.....until the next thing.
anthonbloom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, fridge