Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2018, 12:02 AM   #1
Bohdan

Tire Changing

Greetings ,
Perhaps somebody can give me some advice. I am a new owner of a 2010 Fuzion Toy Hauler triple axel. Need to change the tires. Probably do myself since it is easier than hauling a rig around. Does the trailer aid work for triple axel trailers? If I have to use a bottle jack, do i have to hook up the truck tio the rig so that the landing gears and stabilizers don't get compromised by the leaning of the rig? Mighty obliged.
Bohdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:03 AM   #2
Badbart56

I just pulled mine down to the tire shop and let them do it. What is this “trailer aid” ? Are you talking about the stabilizers?

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:11 AM   #3
KSH

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-T.../dp/B000YOH16I
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:41 AM   #4
Frank G

You are in for a lot of work, if you do it by the book you need (4) jacks and Jack stands capable of jacking the unit under the frame and supporting it. You also need a high torque impact driver and torque wrench. I made the assumption you want to change all six at one time. I carry one of those "Trailer-Aid" devices for emergency use only, and yes our unit is only two axle.

I would not connect it to the truck when jacking the entire unit up.

If you don't have the proper equipment and are not comfortable with the process, please let someone else do it.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:13 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

I would also like to point out that the lug nuts are torqued to about 100 lbs. An impact driver is almost a necessity. A small portable compressor won't really do so you need a compressor with some capacity which makes dragging the compressor over to the RV a bit of a chore. I have a 160 PSI Sears oil-less that does this for me as it is on wheels. My shop compressor is stationary.

The Trailer-Aid is more useful for leveling on a sloping site than lifting one of the tires. If you are level and on a solid surface, you might get one of the three tires on a side up and the only way to know this is to try.

If it were me, I would drag the trailer to a tire shop. When I have replaced all the tires, this means I don't have to spend a day breaking my back. Changing tires is also no bueno if you don't have a hydraulic tire changing machine. I have a small Harbor Freight manual tire changing machine and changing a tire is a misery these days.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:47 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I would let a shop do it. Much quicker and easier, especially with a triple axle. As far as the Trailer Aid.....I bought one, tried to use it on a flat and it would not raise the flat tire enough to get it off - I threw it in the back of the barn somewhere years ago and haven't seen it since.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #7
travelin texans

The simple answer is "NO" on the Trailer Aid on triple axles, the wide stance double axles & not very well on any axles, save your money & put towards the new tires.
As to jacking it up, as long as you put the jacks directly under the springs on the axle, the manufacturers will say NO to that along with others here, but I've done so for 40+ years without issue. If you have the hydraulic leveling system you can use it to raise the wheels off the ground, as with using bottle jacks the manufacturer will say NO, but again that's just their lawyers talking, just use caution & jack stands to be safe.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:17 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

I have a trailer aid + which has a 2" thick slice of rubber on top. Works great on our two axle unit. Even if you use the spare (extra work changing it twice) you're making 3 trips. Easier to drag it there.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:41 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I have a trailer aid + which has a 2" thick slice of rubber on top. Works great on our two axle unit. Even if you use the spare (extra work changing it twice) you're making 3 trips. Easier to drag it there.

I was unaware of the Trailer Aid +. Just looked it up and it might work. When I tried to use ours the bad tire wouldn't clear the ground. Had to take a 2x6 and work to get the trailer up on the trailer aid with the 2x under it. Almost an effort in futility but finally got it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:55 AM   #10
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I would also like to point out that the lug nuts are torqued to about 100 lbs. An impact driver is almost a necessity. A small portable compressor won't really do so you need a compressor with some capacity which makes dragging the compressor over to the RV a bit of a chore. I have a 160 PSI Sears oil-less that does this for me as it is on wheels. My shop compressor is stationary.

The Trailer-Aid is more useful for leveling on a sloping site than lifting one of the tires. If you are level and on a solid surface, you might get one of the three tires on a side up and the only way to know this is to try.

If it were me, I would drag the trailer to a tire shop. When I have replaced all the tires, this means I don't have to spend a day breaking my back. Changing tires is also no bueno if you don't have a hydraulic tire changing machine. I have a small Harbor Freight manual tire changing machine and changing a tire is a misery these days.
I carry a 48" breakover bar.... much lighter and takes up a lot less room than an air compressor..
Old 07-12-2018, 05:42 AM   #11
Tunnel_Vision

I had mine changed right here in my driveway by a mobile tire shop and he was less expensive than taking it in. And a better choice of tires.
2004 DCB W/TWIN MERCURY RACING 300X'S
Tunnel_Vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:27 AM   #12
wiredgeorge

Javi, I use my 29 gallon air compressor when I am parked in my slot at home. My slot is near enough to the shop building where I keep the compressor that I can wheel it out. First time I tried to loosen the lug nuts, I used a standard 1/2" breaker bar that is about 18" long and was miserably defeated. At my age, trying to jump on a 4' breaker bar would be a good "fails" video on youtube hehe
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:52 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I carry a 48" breakover bar.... much lighter and takes up a lot less room than an air compressor..
I keep a Dewalt 1/2" impact in the truck. Haven't meet a bolt that's challenged it yet.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF899...+impact+driver
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:24 AM   #14
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Javi, I use my 29 gallon air compressor when I am parked in my slot at home. My slot is near enough to the shop building where I keep the compressor that I can wheel it out. First time I tried to loosen the lug nuts, I used a standard 1/2" breaker bar that is about 18" long and was miserably defeated. At my age, trying to jump on a 4' breaker bar would be a good "fails" video on youtube hehe
Well I'm just a kid at 69...
Old 07-12-2018, 10:58 AM   #15
AbHDToyHauler

Does your Fuzion have the hydraulic levelling system? If so you can use that to lift the trailer wheels off the ground for replacement?
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:14 AM   #16
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbHDToyHauler View Post
Does your Fuzion have the hydraulic levelling system? If so you can use that to lift the trailer wheels off the ground for replacement?
That's a big no no!

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #17
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I keep a Dewalt 1/2" impact in the truck. Haven't meet a bolt that's challenged it yet.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF899...+impact+driver
I have a 1/2" DeWalt impact also that goes with me on every outing. It's there for changing a flat only and I would never try to do all four tires on the trailer instead of taking it to a tire shop. I also carry the Andersen Rapid Jack and it does lift the flat off the ground enough to get it off the trailer. But more importantly, it lifts the trailer enough to get the fully inflated spare on. I also carry a 160 ft lb torque extension for the impact as the dually tires lug nuts are supposed to be at 165 ft. lbs.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:02 PM   #18
AbHDToyHauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
That's a big no no!
Why is that a No No? I would recommend blocking it up in case of a line failure . I have seen one set of tires off the ground when its auto levelling so I know it can do it. Your thoughts?
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:26 PM   #19
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbHDToyHauler View Post
Why is that a No No? I would recommend blocking it up in case of a line failure . I have seen one set of tires off the ground when its auto levelling so I know it can do it. Your thoughts?
We've spent entire weekends with one set of wheels completely off the ground when the Lippert Level Up system auto leveled our toy hauler, so yes, the system is certainly physically capable of it.

The marketing material that came with ours actually still lists using the system for tire changes as a feature in a couple places, but the owners manual says not to (marketers vs lawyers I guess ).

If you don't feel comfortable doing that, one option is to use the leveling jacks to "unload" the suspension, but not completely lift the wheels off the ground, then use a bottle jack under the axle to compress the suspension on the desired wheel enough to get it off the ground, that way the bottle jack isn't supporting the full weight of the trailer. I've tried this at home and it worked fine.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:41 PM   #20
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
That's a big no no!
If you research the jacks used you'll find they are rated to lift far more weight than they do. If I recall the 2 landing jacks are rated at 20k each.
Mine sat on the jacks only with no wheels/tires for 4 days waiting on new brake backing plates & was as stable feeling inside as with the wheels on the ground.
Yes, the manufacturer, rather their lawyers, says to not do this & I wouldn't crawl under the rv with only the jacks holding it, but to change a tire I wouldn't hesitate one second doing so.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote