Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2018, 12:10 PM   #1
jdixon980

Angry This fridge is driving me crazy!

Camper has been to Camping World twice now for fridge problems. This last time, it was there for month to get fixed. Put new control board on it. Well just got back from weekend trip and same old issue. Fridge cools good hooked to shore power. Once I switch it too gas, it will not start. But if I start my gas water heater and wait for fault light to go out, water heater fires. Push gas button on fridge and fridge starts. Travel down road, fridge goes out and will not start back unless I do water heater system. Run fridge all weekend on gas, fridge ran great, cooled very well.Always bleed air out of line with stove. Stove fires up with first click. Never flickers. So I assume air is out of line. Could there be some kind of safety issue with the gas that could be causing this preventing fridge to run? Someone tell me I am doing something wrong! Really don’t want to take back to Camping World to sit there another month. Have two more trips planned until i winterize. Really don’t know where to turn!
jdixon980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:38 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If your fridge has reached temp before you switch to LP mode, it won’t do anything until the thermistor tells the control board to start the cooling process. At that point the control board looks for AC power, if it doesn’t see it then it goes into LP mode.

Is it possible your fridge is “at temp” when you switch?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #3
jdixon980

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If your fridge has reached temp before you switch to LP mode, it won’t do anything until the thermistor tells the control board to start the cooling process. At that point the control board looks for AC power, if it doesn’t see it then it goes into LP mode.

Is it possible your fridge is “at temp” when you switch?

I am sure it is at temp when I switch. I could probably see where it wouldn’t start. But when I get to my destination I open camper door and look at fridge, LP is flashing on display and temp has gained about 10 degrees.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:34 AM   #4
gearhead

Don't take it back to Camping World.
I've told this story so often some on here could tell it for me.
After the 4th? trip back to my dealer I took my Dometic to a family owned repair shop. They've been in the parts and service business for 30+ years. They are authorized service/warranty shop for most RV components.
Find an authorized repair shop.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:50 AM   #5
Frederick

I agree with gearhead forget camping world bought my 5er there and had repair work done not happy with there work at all I now goto a family owned rv repair shop
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:54 AM   #6
Snoking

If the frig is in a slide, check that the hose is not kinking when the slide is in! On edit: Little poking around at you post indicates that you do have the frig in a slide. Chris
Old 10-09-2018, 05:40 PM   #7
jdixon980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
If the frig is in a slide, check that the hose is not kinking when the slide is in! On edit: Little poking around at you post indicates that you do have the frig in a slide. Chris

Yes, it is in a slide. How would I go about finding hose? Where do I start looking?
Old 10-09-2018, 05:52 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdixon980 View Post
Yes, it is in a slide. How would I go about finding hose? Where do I start looking?

Look underneath. The propane line will most likely plug into a quick connect at the frame.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:02 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

You should see the hose under the slide. As it compresses who knows how it has been routed as it closes. The routing can affect many things.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:41 AM   #10
Mrgolfm

Check the gas line feeding the refer, I had a similar problem, it worked when the slide was open but not when traveling. Keystone had located the gas line in a way the it was pinched when the slide was closed.
Mrgolfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:46 AM   #11
boxcar

That’s interesting because I’m having a similar issue with my Dometic. When it’s on AC but the AC goes out, the fault light comes on rather than switching to gas automatically. It’s happened with the slide in and out. Spoiled a refer full of food last summer while we were away.

I took it to an authorized warranty repair shop and they claimed they couldn’t exchange the control board until they saw it happen. It’s intermittent sufficiently that it’s unlikely to happen sitting in their lot so that’s not going to happen.
B&W Turnover Ball & Companion Hitch
Torklift Stableload Rear Suspension & Revolution Steps
Handi Lift Elevator (not yet installed)
boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:36 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
That’s interest because I’m having a similar issue with my Dometic. When it’s on AC but the AC goes out, the fault light comes on rather than switching to gas automatically. It’s happened with the slide in and out. Spoiled a refer full of food last summer while we were away.

I took it to an authorized warranty repair shop and they claimed they couldn’t exchange the control board until they saw it happen. It’s intermittent sufficiently that it’s unlikely to happen sitting in their lot so that’s not going to happen.
Cost of a "reefer full of food" is probably well over $100. You can buy an "upgraded control board" to fit your refrigerator from a company well known for quality after-market control boards called Dinosaur Electronics. Cost for the replacement board should run about $85-100. http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/Dom_boards.htm I wouldn't wait for another failure if you're sure it's the control board that's causing the problem. Even though you'll be "paying out of your own pocket" the cost of fixing the problem is less than the cost of the next failure that spoils all your food again..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge