Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
jaymxr

stock converter or upgrade to 4 stage

Hello I would like some advice. I own an 07 Montana 3500 rl. I do most of my camping at full hook up campgrounds. I've never dried camp and don't intend to unless I run into a situation. So my question is should I up grade my stock converter to a 4 a stage converter. My stock converter is a IOTA DLS 55. I know IOTA makes a IQ4 smart charging device that plugs into my DLS to make it a 4 stage but just not to sure about it not being built in and all. If I should up grade to a new 4 stage what brand should I consider. I always take the batteries out of my coach as soon as I get home and put them on a battery tender to get a trickle charge. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
jaymxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:01 AM   #2
MarkS

Why are you not satisfied with you existing converter?

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:00 AM   #3
jaymxr

Well so far i can't complain. Just trying to do whats best for my batteries. Im reading that you shouldt leave your coach plugged in for a long period unless your converter is a 4 stage.So thats why im looking out for some advice.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:11 AM   #4
Yosemitebob

If you plan on leaving your coach plugged in (I know many of us do) then just make sure your charger is automatic. But it only has to be 3 modes;

Absorption Mode: During this mode the output is about 13.6 V range, this is the normal operation mode.

Bulk Mode; In this mode the output voltage switches to 14.4 to 14.7 V range for when you batteries are low

Float Mode; This is when the converter is charging the artery as in trickle charging of the 13.2v range.

You really don't need any more than that unless you want to add the Equalizing mode which overcharges your batteries for a certain period of time which cleans the inside and starts them fresh again. Some only do this once a year some more often. Honestly, I don't worry about that mode.

I think you are good where you are unless you want to change it out. If no problems, wait.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:12 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Full timers leave their units plugged in "for a long period" without doing damage to their batteries and most of them would likely have the OEM 3-stage converter. Since they are being continuously charged at various levels, the batteries need to be maintained properly by ensuring that there is sufficient water in them so they don't "boil dry". If you check the water level in them on a regular basis, you'll be okay.

Switching to a 4-stage converter isn't necessary unless your present one is malfunctioning. If it's doing its job - don't toss it out.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
WaltBennett

Problem with just about any converter is that they don't bulk charge at a high enough voltage to completely charge your batteries. Since installing my solar & inverter setup, I've left the converter turned off as the inverter does a better job - but then I've four Trojan T-105 batteries and really don't need more DC.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #7
jaymxr

Thank you all for the advice. I'll just leave what I have and buy the IQ4 smart charger for 20 bucks to make mine a least a 3 stage.