Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2018, 03:06 PM   #1
barnmichael

Slideout wiring support spring

My 2006 Cougar 5th wheel has a long spring which supports the electrical cables to the slideout. This spring has been stretched and deformed over the years and needs replacement. It catches on the mechanism and has resulted in damage to the wiring.

Any ideas on where I can obtain a replacement spring? I tried Camping World and basically just got blank stares.

Thanks,
Michael

Michael & Sharon
WA7SKG & N8QBX
2006 24' Cougar 5th wheel
2005 F350 Long Bed Crew Cab
barnmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:16 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

It's a common part. Going to a dealer (other than CW[emoji16]) should be able to order one for you.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:22 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Or go to any big box hardware store and look for a screen door spring.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:44 AM   #4
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Or go to any big box hardware store and look for a screen door spring.
Hi chuckster,

My trailer had this black, plastic band to manage the wire loom under the slide.

It broke, while under warranty, the dealer sent me a new one and suggested when it broke again to just replace it with a screen door spring.

I hunted high and low for one and could not find one like used to be on my Grandma's wooden screen door... it was a long, thin spring that did not have much tension to it.

The ones I have found look like you could tow a small car with them and not have it stretch out too much.

Any suggestions for a source or part number would be great.

Thanks,

-Brian
Old 10-24-2018, 06:23 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

We got the last one at Lowe’s. Sorry don’t have a P/N

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:16 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

ACE hardware and Tru-Value hardware have a "spring selection" right beside the screws, nuts and bolts section. Take the parts of the old spring (if you have them) to match up with what's available at the hardware store. Usually less than $5 and lasts a long time... Don't be afraid to buy two 6" springs ($10) to replace the one 12" spring that's no longer available......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:42 AM   #7
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
Hi chuckster,

My trailer had this black, plastic band to manage the wire loom under the slide.

It broke, while under warranty, the dealer sent me a new one and suggested when it broke again to just replace it with a screen door spring.

I hunted high and low for one and could not find one like used to be on my Grandma's wooden screen door... it was a long, thin spring that did not have much tension to it.

The ones I have found look like you could tow a small car with them and not have it stretch out too much.

Any suggestions for a source or part number would be great.

Thanks,

-Brian
I had the same plastic strap, I used some stiff gardening edging and a hinge to make a better solution. I did try just a hinge to start with for a quick repair that lasted about a year. Then took the extra time to use the end that slid on the post, and new sections of the stiff garden edging put the hinge at exact middle of the fold, and no issues since. I used bolts to attach the hinges to the edging. Sorry I don't have a finished picture of the second fix.

This is after the first fix, needless to say failed again.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:35 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Does anyone have any pics of these "springs" that are used under the slideout? Mine has the plastic folding mechanism that has broken once and I repaired laying on the ground in Vicksburg. That has been 3 years ago and don't have a lot of faith the plastic is going to last much longer. On the other hand, I don't see how a 6" spring is going to do much to support the wiring or be nearly long enough so I'm hoping it might be a more robust upgrade.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slideout, wiring