Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2018, 02:40 AM   #41
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubetcha View Post
These numbers are starting to get confusing. Your quote of 3520 # would be for one axle correct? This campers has two axle's so that would give me a capacity of 7040# total. The listed GVWR is 7825#. Even with all these figures flying around, I think I would still be better off with LDRD or higher. Man I getting confused.�� The GVWR is a number I should not exceed ,which includes the trailer and cargo,right?
The pin holds the weight difference plus more.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:55 PM   #42
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubetcha View Post
These numbers are starting to get confusing. Your quote of 3520 # would be for one axle correct? This campers has two axle's so that would give me a capacity of 7040# total. The listed GVWR is 7825#. Even with all these figures flying around, I think I would still be better off with LDRD or higher. Man I getting confused.�� The GVWR is a number I should not exceed ,which includes the trailer and cargo,right?
I was just trying to keep it simple.

When thinking tires for RV trailers you need to concentrate on their design, how they are selected and fitted by the trailer manufacturer.

Tires for our trailers are not required to provide anything more in load capacity than what the trailer manufacturer has certified the axles to carry. The axles on your trailer will have the vehicle manufacturer’s certified GAWR load capacities listed on the vehicle federal certification label. That label will be displayed externally with a tire & load label on the left hand or driver side of the trailer forward of the axles.

Here is how the math works. The total GAWR maximum loads, when added to the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended/published tongue weight MUST not be less than the trailer’s GVWR.

Another standard is worded sort of like this. The tires fitted to the trailer by the vehicle manufacturer must provide a load capacity that is an appropriate fitment in accordance with the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended cold inflation pressures.

Therein lies a very high percentage of early RV trailer tire failures, no load capacity reserves.

The current rules for our tires were approved by NHTSA and finalized in 2007. Many of the rules committee members recommended a 12-15% load capacity reserve be added to the trailer tire standards. They were not approved. The current track record for replacement tires with a higher load capacity than the OE tires, seems to support the fact that, RV trailer tires are in desperate need of excess load capacity.

From the information I found, your trailer has 3500# GAWR axles. The ST205/75R14D provides 2040# of load capacity @ 65 PSI, that’s more than 15% in load capacity reserves above the axles maximum load capacity. There are at least a half dozen ST tire manufacturer’s that build that sized tire with a LRD. One in the USA.

With the LRD tires being the same physical size and design as those listed on your certification label, the validity of the tire size on the certification label is not compromised. Why? Because both load ranges require the use of identical load inflation charts. In other words, the LRD will provide the identical load capacity of the LRC @ 50 PSI. Everything above the 50 PSI is optional and considered load capacity reserves.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:31 PM   #43
YstoneWY

Have over 13k on factory TrailerKings that came on our 2016 Cougar XLite 27rks 5th wheel. Just now starting to show tread wear, and will replace before next spring. Tires are rated at 65 mph and we drive 65-67. Speed kills tires!
YstoneWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:41 PM   #44
Jefster

So when I started this thread I also had a conversation with my dad who has his original Trailer Kings on his Rockwood 5th wheel. He's never worried too much about them, but after talking decided next spring he's going to replace them. Then he also decided TPMS would be a good idea, so he ordered one and installed it this summer.
Well this week he had a blowout. No warnings, tire pressure was good, temps were good, traveling 63 miles per hour. Lost half a fender.
He put on the spare and drove off down the road. 1.5 hours later, TPMS shows something wrong with a tire on the opposite side. He pulled over to find the tread completely gone and tire losing pressure. Lost the whole fender on that side when the tread came off. But TPMS saved him from blowing out on that side and doing even more damage.
So on the side of the road without a spare, he called in a mobile tire unit who replaced all 4 tires with Goodyears right there on the highway.
I didn't ask what that cost
Jefster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:00 PM   #45
shermris

Too many people only consider tire tread when they look at their tires. Tires can go bad at 1,000 miles or less if they are old enough to show signs of deterioration. Any weather checking on the side wall is a sign that the tires need replacing, even if the tread looks new. Tire aging is basically an issue of oxidation, rubber exposed to oxygen dries out and becomes stiffer, and cracks. When a tire is driven, the pressure and flexing motion circulate the internal oils through the rubber. These oils lubricate the internal rubber and keep it from drying and stiffening. So tires that are used less are often more vulnerable to aging effects. Six years is old for a trailer tire, they sit much of the time and all winter long in many cases. I put between 1,000 to 3,000 miles a year on my tires and they are typically replaced before the tread is below 50% due to age, heat, and lack of movement.
shermris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:59 PM   #46
hornet28

I was talking with my brother, who hauled new RVs out of Goshen to dealers. He said it was commonplace for tires to go bad while delivering.
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:23 PM   #47
mcomeaux

Just replaced mine on a 2017 Fuzion. Mine had MFG dates from 4715-1216. getting ready to travel next 6 months on the road just want peace of mind with 22K running down road. And yes the dealer that mounted the tires looked confused at first but understood. "Old Tires still Appeared very good" putting them on craigslist....
Old 10-14-2018, 03:42 AM   #48
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

There are posts after posts after more posts if examples where these tires go bad. It's not a question of if they will go bad, its a question of when they'll go bad.

Do yourself a favor and replace them before they blow. It really is that simple.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 10-14-2018, 05:32 AM   #49
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet28 View Post
I was talking with my brother, who hauled new RVs out of Goshen to dealers. He said it was commonplace for tires to go bad while delivering.
Now that is the real issue with about 90 percent of the OEM ST tires. They are cheaply made. People in this thread are talking about tires that cost 68 or 70 dollars to put on a trailer that they paid 20, 30, 40 .... thousand for.

I took our new 2019 Laredo 225MK with Goodride tires and replaced them with Goodyear Endurance tires. The new ST225/75R15E tires cost $641.15 out the door mounted and balanced. Sold the LRD Goodrides on CL for $200 in a day and a half.

When we bought out 2017 Bighorn 3575el in May of 2016 it came with Sailun S637 ST235/85R16G's. In the years before they put Blow Max tires on them and people had many failures.

The problem is that to many trailer manufacturers just buy the deal of the day from Tredit or Tireco. The trailer manufacturer does not have to stand behind the tires, so some manufacturers let their bean counters select the train car loads of pre-mounted wheels and tires based on lowest price available.

If you can by a tire for 68 or 70 at retail, what do you think Tredit or Tireco sells it to the trailer manufacturer for? And that includes the shipment from china, mounting and distribution within North America.

Cal can talk all he wants about reserves and care of ones tires, however if you start with cheap junk, it will still be cheap junk while you are sitting on the side of the highway with the side of your trailer blown off.

So I am happy with my decision to install the new Endurance Goodyear's, knowing that Goodyear after developing this new ST tire is going to stand behind it, and that there is a very high provability that they will pay to repair my trailer if it is damaged by the failure of one of my Endurance tires similar to their support of their LRG G614 tire.

Chris
Old 10-14-2018, 05:39 AM   #50
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcomeaux View Post
Just replaced mine on a 2017 Fuzion. Mine had MFG dates from 4715-1216. getting ready to travel next 6 months on the road just want peace of mind with 22K running down road. And yes the dealer that mounted the tires looked confused at first but understood.
Good choice on Sailun S637's. Chris
Old 10-14-2018, 05:56 AM   #51
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
Now that is the real issue with about 90 percent of the OEM ST tires. They are cheaply made. People in this thread are talking about tires that cost 68 or 70 dollars to put on a trailer that they paid 20, 30, 40 .... thousand for.

I took our new 2019 Laredo 225MK with Goodride tires and replaced them with Goodyear Endurance tires. The new ST225/75R15E tires cost $641.15 out the door mounted and balanced. Sold the LRD Goodrides on CL for $200 in a day and a half.

When we bought out 2017 Bighorn 3575el in May of 2016 it came with Sailun S637 ST235/85R16G's. In the years before they put Blow Max tires on them and people had many failures.

The problem is that to many trailer manufacturers just buy the deal of the day from Tredit or Tireco. The trailer manufacturer does not have to stand behind the tires, so some manufacturers let their bean counters select the train car loads of pre-mounted wheels and tires based on lowest price available.

If you can by a tire for 68 or 70 at retail, what do you think Tredit or Tireco sells it to the trailer manufacturer for? And that includes the shipment from china, mounting and distribution within North America.

Cal can talk all he wants about reserves and care of ones tires, however if you start with cheap junk, it will still be cheap junk while you are sitting on the side of the highway with the side of your trailer blown off.

So I am happy with my decision to install the new Endurance Goodyear's, knowing that Goodyear after developing this new ST tire is going to stand behind it, and that there is a very high provability that they will pay to repair my trailer if it is damaged by the failure of one of my Endurance tires similar to their support of their LRG G614 tire.

Chris
If anyone gets Goodyear to pay for their trailer damage because an Endurance goes pop, please post all of the details to the transaction in a new thread. To date, I don't believe this has happened and that it may happen is pure speculation and opinion. Actually having it happen, well....that would change everything.

Now, go outside and play (said in my mother's voice).

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 10-14-2018, 06:02 AM   #52
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
If anyone gets Goodyear to pay for their trailer damage because an Endurance goes pop, please post all of the details to the transaction in a new thread. To date, I don't believe this has happened and that it may happen is pure speculation and opinion. Actually having it happen, well....that would change everything.

Now, go outside and play (said in my mother's voice).

Anyone who actually believes that Goodyear is going to pay for damage to your trailer without litigation is a prime candidate to buy a bridge...
Old 10-14-2018, 06:28 AM   #53
JRTJH
Site Team

Is that Goodyear Tire Company that makes Endurance tires the same Goodyear that makes (yes still being sold) the Goodyear G159 tires that have so many failures on motorhomes? https://jalopnik.com/goodyear-knew-o...-20-1824997252 Looks to me like they are being accused of hiding the failure incidents from the public and the NHTSA officials. This article doesn't address any reimbursement for tire failure on motorhomes damaged by the tire blowouts...

Maybe there's a "Different Goodyear" for the Endurance line ?????? Nah, I'd bet it's the same company, different product. If they won't pay for damages on a $650 tire, I suppose there would be as much or more "resistance" to pay for damages on a $125 tire. Of course that's just my opinion, but if anyone has any documentation of Goodyear paying for trailer damages, please post the details....

As for "tire failures while towing from the factory"... If you look at the Keystone (or any other manufacturer) trailer specs, you'll see some trailers with 500 pounds of excess capacity on each tire and you'll see other trailers with 20 pounds of excess capacity on each tire (based on trailer shipping weight/GVW and pin/hitch weight). My guess would be that the majority of the "tire failure during delivery" are on trailers with critically low tire capacity reserves. Yes, it's still a Keystone problem, but is it a "Towmax/Carlisle/Maxxis/Goodyear problem ???? Likely not..... What I'm saying is that you can't blame tire failure on the tire when the manufacturer installs tires that "barely meet the standard".... Hopefully with the new RVIA guidelines that will change.

But as for Goodyear's reimbursement policy...... Like the old lady in the Wendy's ad: "Where's the beef???"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:08 AM   #54
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Anyone who actually believes that Goodyear is going to pay for damage to your trailer without litigation is a prime candidate to buy a bridge...
History has not proven that to be true!

Step 1. The failed tire has to be kept.
Step 2. File a claim via a Goodyear tire dealer or directly with Goodyear.
Step 3. Goodyear tire dealer ships failed tire to Goodyear.
Step 4. Goodyear determines cause of failure.
Step 5. If Goodyear determines cause was not an user issue, they provide a replacement tire.

Step 6:
Now we are at a point that Goodyear is noted to do something that is excluded for just about all tire warranties. The paid for consequential damages from the tire failure. Sometimes they first offer to pay one's insurance deductible. Those that remain calm and firm, have been able to get Goodyear to pay the full amount. Other times Goodyear steps up completely from the get go.

You can believe this or not. There are many documented cases available with a little internet searching.

NOT chinese tire company is going to come within 7252 miles of doing this.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:13 AM   #55
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

Those that remain calm and firm, have been able to get Goodyear to pay the full amount. Other times Goodyear steps up completely from the get go.

You can believe this or not. There are many documented cases available with a little internet searching. ...
Again, I ask, is this the same Goodyear Tire Company that produces G159 motorhome tires and hid the tire failure results from NHTSA until a class action lawsuit forced them to reveal the information to the courts?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-14-2018, 08:30 AM   #56
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Yep. I have a brass nickel that is worth $275, I promise if you buy it from me for $75 you will make $200!
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:36 AM   #57
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
History has not proven that to be true!

Step 1. The failed tire has to be kept.
Step 2. File a claim via a Goodyear tire dealer or directly with Goodyear.
Step 3. Goodyear tire dealer ships failed tire to Goodyear.
Step 4. Goodyear determines cause of failure.
Step 5. If Goodyear determines cause was not an user issue, they provide a replacement tire.

Step 6:
Now we are at a point that Goodyear is noted to do something that is excluded for just about all tire warranties. The paid for consequential damages from the tire failure. Sometimes they first offer to pay one's insurance deductible. Those that remain calm and firm, have been able to get Goodyear to pay the full amount. Other times Goodyear steps up completely from the get go.

You can believe this or not. There are many documented cases available with a little internet searching.

NOT chinese tire company is going to come within 7252 miles of doing this.
Ok, I was curious so as suggested I Googled this. Only found a couple mentions on a Heartland forum from November of 2014. They did pay for damages on failure from GY614's, but 4 years without other mentions is not exactly awe inspiring. However, you are free to think what you want, but just color me skeptical is all.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 10-14-2018, 09:38 AM   #58
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Again, I ask, is this the same Goodyear Tire Company that produces G159 motorhome tires and hid the tire failure results from NHTSA until a class action lawsuit forced them to reveal the information to the courts?

What is most often overlooked is the fact that GY had a very active "silent recall" for a number of years with their new G159 & G614 tires. The deal was, "send me the tires and I'll send you new tires and have your trailer fixed", maybe not in those words but that was the end result.

Over the years they worked the bugs out of the G614 but their work on the G159 failed miserably and at a great expense to them.

When GY thought they had the G614 fixed they sent them to China. OOPS, they weren't really fixed, back to the USA they came. Got fixed and are still on the market. (Maybe they got some help from Michelin on how to build steel cased tires?).
Old 10-14-2018, 10:18 AM   #59
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
What is most often overlooked is the fact that GY had a very active "silent recall" for a number of years with their new G159 & G614 tires. The deal was, "send me the tires and I'll send you new tires and have your trailer fixed", maybe not in those words but that was the end result.

Over the years they worked the bugs out of the G614 but their work on the G159 failed miserably and at a great expense to them.

When GY thought they had the G614 fixed they sent them to China. OOPS, they weren't really fixed, back to the USA they came. Got fixed and are still on the market. (Maybe they got some help from Michelin on how to build steel cased tires?).

There is another member posting information that "Goodyear will pay to fix your trailer if their Endurance ST tire fails"... My reason for asking if this is the "same Goodyear that produced the G159" is because the allegations are that as late as August 2018 Goodyear still has not "officially recalled the G159 tire"... They are apparently using "unpublished, silent recalls" to keep people quiet and to avoid any admission of "tire problems" on a "tire line scale"....

To me (YMMV) that's not being "honest and above board" when it comes to accepting responsibility for a product failure. My point, the one I was trying to make, is that if Goodyear has refused to accept that they have a problem with the G159 tire in the past 15 years (since they stopped production) and still won't accept responsibility for the accidents that tire caused, why would we believe that same company is going to "volunteer to repair trailers for any owner who buys the Endurance ST tire" ???

I'm not saying that the Endurance ST tire is good or bad, it's simply too early to know how it will perform beyond the 2 years it's been on the market. It may turn out to be an excellent tire, it may turn out to be the "sister to the Marathon (a cheap failure after it was moved to China).... None of us know the outcome yet (unless there's a fortune teller amongst us)....

My point, for the "umpteenth time" is this: Goodyear's track record for paying for repairs to trailers and motorhomes has always been "under the table to keep people quiet"... They have NEVER made a statement such as, "Send us your bad tire and the bill for your trailer repair and we'll send you a check".....

If anyone has evidence that Goodyear has that policy, I'll sincerely apologize, but until then, Goodyear ain't no better than Carlisle or TowMax when it comes to getting "blood out of a turnip".......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-14-2018, 10:20 AM   #60
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet28 View Post

The most common reason for that sort of failure is under inflation. If the delivery driver just hooks up and delivers, the odds are greatly in favor of early tire failures.

Huge RV trailer manufacturer's like Keystone will get their tire assemblies from OEM providers. Those providers are not responsible for proper tire inflation. The maximum safe inflation pressure for setting the beads is 40 PSI. That's probably the most they will have in them when they get to the Keystone assembly line. When they are delivered to the vehicle they will become Original Equipment on, will thy be inflated to the correct inflation pressure for that fitment? Will that inflation pressure be maintained properly all the way to the delivery driver? Does the delivery driver have a PDI that includes maintaining proper inflation pressures? Is the delivery driver versed in differences between inflation pressures derived from FMCSA and FMVSS regulations? One is not compatible with the other.

That's my side of the story.

Tags
tires