Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2019, 02:15 PM   #21
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE303 View Post
This is one of the reasons I opted for a portable dish ...
The picture below shows a neighbor's dish after being used as a perch - the arrows point out the bear's claw marks. We were camping in Hog Valley near the Ocala National Forest; the next time we returned to that campground warnings were posted and the trash dumpsters were locked down at sunset. Who knows what the bear was looking for; the owner figures the bear got on top of the dish to get a better view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s20181202_090434.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	22612  

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:05 PM   #22
Getn off

Haha summit, we stayed in Ocala a few months ago and parked right next to that guy. I have the same pic!
As for remembering to lower the antenna, it is a fixed auto antenna...er,
Was!
And yes, I use the trucks gps, which works very well, but does not let me add length or height to the gps to avoid such roads. That is why I researched and purchased the best reviewed gps app that is supposed to prevent this lil mishap. Not so much I guess.
I agree that a satellite in this campground prolly wouldnt be ideal, but this is the most wooded one we have stayed in so far.
We drove back down that road today in the truck...guess what we found? Lol! Yep, I found it!
Talked to a bunch of campers that had the same story on that road. All the warnings were at the end of the road, not the helpfull beginning portion! We were pot commited by the time we discovered it was so bad.
Oh well!
Troy
And yes, I am enjoying my beer(s)! Ty
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	22613  
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:06 PM   #23
Getn off

Annnd the sign which is at the very end...almost as a joke!
Troy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	22614  
Old 07-06-2019, 03:33 PM   #24
CaptnJohn

Neighbor told me yesterday Google sent him 1 1/2 miles down a narrow road to a 12'8" tall bridge. It would have been ok if was not pulling a 13'4" 5er.
Cop asked if he used Google with a smile. He said they try to go down that road 6 times each shift during daylight. Cops turn lights on and you get to back up while they run interference. They do not go down after dark as no way you are backing out then.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:49 PM   #25
Getn off

That would suck...and was what I was honestly expecting there!
I have no problem with maps/google maps/oem/etc. leading you down these types of roads at. All. My problem lies with a purchased app that lets you put in ur specific rig's dimensions so this wont happen. At the very least, the app (co-pilot) should have warned me when the road said no trucks over 10 tons...which was also about halfway down my exursion. I have mine set to 24k btw.
Troy
Old 07-06-2019, 07:01 PM   #26
CaptnJohn

I've had the best luck with Garmin rv GPS. It has only screwed up twice in many thousands of miles. After Google and a truck nav system tried to send me down a dirt road it did too. Before it had a chance to say "U turn in 1/2 mile" I saw a left could actually be made where I wanted to go.
Looking forward to purchasing the new model 785 before I start fall travels.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:37 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
.... At the very least, the app (co-pilot) should have warned me when the road said no trucks over 10 tons...which was also about halfway down my exursion. I have mine set to 24k btw.
Troy
Not to be critical, but to point out a possible issue to explain your "misadventure down a narrow road".... You said you wound up on a road with a 20,000 pound limit (10 tons) and have your system set for 24,000 pounds (12 tons) as the "don't go over this" limit.... That may explain why your Co-pilot routed you down that road, it was under the limit you set and the system thought it was OK based on settings ??????......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:10 PM   #28
Getn off

No, I welcome any insite!
I really dont think so. In the app you set your specific length, height, and weight. You dont tell it to avoid roads over a certain weight...unless the app is doing it wrong of course.
Troy
Old 07-08-2019, 04:32 AM   #29
{tpc}

The campground we just stayed at (koa) said right on the website NOT to use GPS to get there otherwise you will end up in the forest lol. And even on the recommended path, there is a big sign at a turn that says don't use the gps, because it drops you off at someones house down the road and the campground is another 1/2 mile or so away further down.

The ford gps is pretty good, but still couldn't properly navigate this one. My wife always has google maps running as well anyways.

The nav in the old tahoe (2007) was terrible. So bad that I never even had it up. I think once we tried to use it to go to MIS and ended up on the backside of the track and it made for a longer drive. It was hard to use though. The navigation in my avenger that I had before the tahoe was slightly better but still not good. They have made progress in the last 10 years or so, as the ford one is typically worth using.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:45 PM   #30
Getn off

Yea, I have seen campgrounds say not to follow GPSs on their web sites too. Did not see it on the current one however. Would really think that a paid gps app would have most of these issues worked out. Guess the joke is on me...the one that actually paid hard earned monies on a promise.
Again, I really have no issues with normal "car" GPSs doing this, or being incorrect...but a paid app that says it is nearly perfect? A lesson learned for sure.
Troy
Old 07-11-2019, 07:31 AM   #31
newemptynester

I am the person assigned to making sure the antenna is down. Ever since we have owned one it has been my job to make sure it is up and then down. I have stopped many campers on their way out to tell them that their antenna is up.

As far as maps go - I will go online and print it before we go.
2013 Laredo 29RKS

newemptynester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:35 AM   #32
LaTundra

I have the same problem with GPS. Apparently, the software was written by some kid on a 4wheeler. No, I don't want to take the back roads because it's shorter.
I have since upgraded to a Garmin RV 660. You key in your camper length, width and height, and it avoids sharp turns and lower under passes.
1 very sweet Dear Wife
3 mean cats and a one-eyed dawg.

Previous campers/tow vehicles:
73 Apache Mesa hard side popup/74 Chevy Nova 350 cid 3sp m
96 Coleman Shenandoah popup/91 Toyota Extended cab 2.4l 5sp m
04 KZ Frontier 2101QSF/00 Toyota Tundra 4.7l 4sp a
LaTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:25 AM   #33
msubobcats

We were staying at the Colusa County fairgrounds ( northern California) and headed to Vacaville. I assumed (we may know where this is going) that when I lowered the antennae it was locked into the slot. Now you all see why I put in ASSUMED. Always wondered where on interstate 5 or hiway 505 the antennae lost its battle with the wind😢😢😂😂. Now I go up to the roof and double check.
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:39 AM   #34
rshipyor

Don’t feel bad was in a parking lot next to a old fashion drive in restaurant and watched a guy rip his rooftop ac off while pulling out shook the whole building.
rshipyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #35
Preyou

Got back from having warranty work and decided to was time to wash "Stormy" Got on the roof and saw the base of the antenna with 2 wires hanging out. Contacted the dealer and they knew nothing. Commented that it probably blew off in the travels although they agreed to install the new one I bought for free. In the future I will checkout all equipment when I get home and before and after service visits.
Preyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #36
CarmieJo

A couple years ago on the way home from Myrtle Beach Waze sent us down a country road where a bridge was out. It was obvious it had been under construction for some time. This was 3 weeks after Hurricane Matthew and there were lots of roads still closed due to flooding an so it seemed reasonable when we turned on the road. We backed up a half mile with me walking behind the trailer because everyone's GPS was sending them down this road. Good citizen that I am I turned them all around where I met them. Oh yeah, did I mention this was in the rain.
CarmieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:02 PM   #37
apachewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Yep. I am officially THAT GUY! Lol
On a 2 week trip from Orlando thru Savannah to Gatlinburg. Using Ford GPS, but bought a Co-pilot as a backup so I dont get caught in undesirable locations! Wasted that damn $40! Both sent me on a journey the last 10 miles on a road that rivaled the Tail of the Dragon....seriously! I was lucky that I came across no low bridges. Power lines were sketchy, but obviously high enough. Tree limbs...nope. Watches my tv antenna roll off the back with some tree branches. Was going very slow, maybe 15.
Nothing that a few hundred bucks and even more beer (to numb my pride) wont cure!
So, how many of you have been in my shoes? All? None? Lol
Wife has been wanting satellite, so mabe this is a good excuse to put one in the tv antenna location?! Is that feasable? 2k or so installed?
I guess it could have been worse...both AC units are fine! On no rips on the roof!
I need more beer...
Troy
Btw, Gatlinburg South KOA is very nice!

Never ripped off the antenna. But got tired of setting up the sat disk and bought a combo of a sat receiver and the Winegard Pathfinder X1. (About $ 500.00). They are now much cheaper. The Pathfinder finds the sat by itself and you can place it where you want, on the ground, on a table, on the roof almost anywhere. It does only work with DISH NETWORK thou. But in MHO it is well worth the money. Just plug it in, turn it on and tell it where you are.

Happy Camping.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:32 PM   #38
LV_Tom

Antenna Up Reminders

1. I normally use my portable dish, but sometimes I'll put the over air antenna up. Never forgot to put my antenna down. Here's a tip an RVer showed me and I've used it ever since. When I do put up the antenna I put a Large ladies Plastic Hair clip on the my trucks steering wheel or on the trailer entry grab bar as reminder the antenna is up.

Name:	large-hair-claws-simple-strong-crab-hair.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	22772

2. In setting my destinations on my Good Sams GPS I set the coordinates manually from this website getlatlong.net You enter the town or street address. It shows a satellite picture of your destination and then you can specifically move the cursor to the entry gate of a campground. You then enter the GPS Coordinates into your unit. It has only failed me twice... Only because I made two bad coordinate entries. Like they say "Garbage In, Garbage out" I've been careful to double check my entries ever since I ended up in the town dump in Van Horn, Texas.

3. In having a portable dish over just a rooftop sat dish. I parked next to a brand new multi million dollar Newell Coach two years ago who was using his portable dish for reception. He told me that his $15,000 worth of rooftop antennas end up behind a tree about 30% of the time, hence the simple portable.

2011 Cougar 27'RLSWE TT
2017 F-250 Crew Cab 6.2L Gas
LV_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #39
jimborokz

early on I was leaving the CG one morning from an overnight and as I made a left turn happened to look out the window and saw the shadow of my antenna sticking up. Stopped went inside and lowered it. That close call taught me to put a ribbon on the steering wheel. I now have a digital antenna that just rotates.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #40
Getn off

A ribbon or such is a great idea...but wont help my situation as it doesnt raise/lower - it is staionary and auto tune.
The Co Pilot gps app is supposed to take into acount length, height, width, and weight. Guess not so much! Would go back to paper maps, but I have never seen one that gives every overpass height, and weight restricted bridges/roads and such.
Sounds like there really isnt a cure all fix for this. I wonder if the truckers app version would be any better?
Troy

Tags
antenna