Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2019, 12:25 PM   #21
Phil Saran

I recently purchased and installed a 5th wheel hitch lock for my trailer
it is more for my piece of mind, but then the storage lot where mine is
stored has camera's and a heavy duty electronic gate. But then I also
have insurance.
Colorado
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:08 PM   #22
Ken / Claudia

When your in the business of arresting bad guys and taking reports of crime. You realize a big factor still today is unlocked doors and windows. Homes get hit a lot more than get broken into. Because someone living there did not secure it. A lot more homes without security or alarms get hit then with them. A lot more vehicles get stolen without a simple thing like a club on the steering wheel or with a alarm or anti theft devices. A lot more vehicles have someone getting inside them at night to steal the contents than ones that are simply locked. Cops see a pattern in theft. I will make a bet this is nation wide. Locks/alarms/anti theft devices do deter more crime than without. Why? because there is always a easier/ faster way or item down the street or across the parking lot without those. When those facts are not true, there is normally a reason. The thieve knows or suspects it is worth the trouble to take extra steps to get whatever they want. No lock or security can keep everyone out, but it sure helps keep most out.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:37 AM   #23
chay1950

I've done a lot of research recently into padlocks. I was looking for one that could not be picked. Master lock is the easiest to pick. No matter what the price is. Your US Marshall friend was out of practice. According to the youtubes that I watched, Master usually takes 5 seconds or less. The padlocks built under government and military specs can also be picked, but take a few seconds longer. PUC locks can also be picked. The long story short is that all padlocks can be picked. Even the very expensive ones with pickles technology. It just takes a few seconds longer.
chay1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #24
wiredgeorge

When I was a lad... oh never mind, all the good yarns have already been spun.... OK SOMEBODY is swiping trailers... not many but some:

https://www.rvda.org/RVDA/Member_Ser...4-469aab1d4e98
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #25
German Shepherd Guy

WHITMW: Fortunately in my area there just doesn't seem to be a problem. We RV mostly at dog shows around the country and Dog Show people are, by-and-large, a small group and we have heard of almost no thefts in our 15 years of doing this. That being said I recently bought a electronic surge/undercurrent monitor and per the list suggestions have also procured a bicycle lock to fasten it to the power post when I use it. But glad to say that in my experience, (and unlike Ken of Ken/Claudia I have never had to deal with the lowest elements on a daily basis. Was glad to read Ken say he wasn't in the Sate Patrol anymore so hopefully is much safer now. Give thanks everyday there are some people who WANT to do that job.) most people are honest and treat others as they would want to be treated. Of course I am always traveling with at least 5 German Shepherds so maybe that colors my response?

Have you been robbed?

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #26
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
... A lot more vehicles get stolen without a simple thing like a club on the steering wheel or with a alarm or anti theft devices. ...
I thought the "new" keys with the RFID-like chip in them (an actual key versus the wireless fob things used in Prius and such) were required for the vehicle to recognize the key and could not be hardwired. Am I incorrect in this assumption?

I lock the vehicles, but if broken into I thought it would only be smash and grab, versus drive off with the vehicle.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:29 PM   #27
Ken / Claudia

Your right about the new style keys, that actually started due to corvette theft.
At one point more of them were stolen than not. In the worst areas it was said park your corvette on the street and walk backward away, you will see who steals it. GM came up with a chip embedded into the key and over night that crime was almost done away with. Auto makers have improved on the keys and even now of course keyless autos. The thieves changed their tactics now 1 in 7 stolen vehicles is stolen with it's keys in it. As in left unlocked warming up in driveway or at 7-11 park lots as the owner goes inside for coffee. Car jacking numbers have also increased because the difficult means to steal a locked/parked vehicle. The usual break in and steal a car is mainly now limited to older ones without chips etc.
The cars that remote start without a key are pretty safe, if it is made to not move until that key with chip is put into the ignition. I own one and believe it's fool proof until the bad guy gets the key. Someday that could change.
Auto makers name these chip or keyless ignitions as a anti theft device.
Yes a few still get stolen, but it goes back to my statement about the time and energy and why the theft. We were stumped with some thefts of high dollar cars and found that the common thing was all stolen at night in large apt. building parking lots. Places people commonly see tow trucks towing away cars. That's how it was being done. I will not say how they defeated the alarms. Those cars got placed into shipping containers and ended up in Russia. Working with customs we ended that here at the time.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:33 AM   #28
Fishsizzle

I’ll expand to theft “around” my RV.

In the summer we will get a spot in a FS campground and drive back and forth to work during the week. I would let stuff sit out, I bought a good cable lock for the yami gen. Came back one afternoon and cable was cut clean, someone must have scared them off as the gen was still there. So everything is chained with high dollar USA chain. I use American brand padlock, I guess I hope the local thieves are just dumb tweekers who are shaking hard cause they need their fix.

I cannot leave a single thing in my boat overnight on the beach or in the parking lots. Theft is horrible at local lakes. I’ve had very uncomfortable conversations with guys that had to be straight out of deliverance while putting stuff away at boat ramps. ( sorry Ken I’ve almost put the 30/30 in my boat and thought to just move it around around from front to back of boat to let these guys know to stay away)

Long story short, if they want it, and you make it easy enough, they will find a way and get it.
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:47 AM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
I’ll expand to theft “around” my RV.

Long story short, if they want it, and you make it easy enough, they will find a way and get it.
I don't think I'd leave "my stuff" unattended, outside my rig for several days while the trailer is not occupied. That's stretching the envelope far too long. In an "ideal world" it would work, but we live in a "not so ideal" reality. I'd suggest that leaving a generator "cabled or chained" in plain sight for a week at a time is very much the same as using a 3' "flasher" in front of the lures while trolling for salmon... That generator is like a "flashing beacon" screaming "TAKE ME" !!!

I'd suggest, at a minimum, taking everything that's out side and putting it inside or taking it with you when you leave for the week. I live in a rural area where everyone who lives around here is "honest" and we have few "outsiders" drive down our road, but even with that "assurance", I would never leave my lawn mower in the front yard or leave my ATV (with or without keys) parked in the driveway and head "downstate for the week".....

I'd urge you to remove the temptation of all that "flashing stuff" at your campsite, and don't expect a USA made chain to be "cut proof"... They'll cut the plastic carrying handle on the generator and take it anyway. It'll still be worth enough for a "fix or two".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:30 AM   #30
Fishsizzle

I'd urge you to remove the temptation of all that "flashing stuff" at your campsite, and don't expect a USA made chain to be "cut proof"... They'll cut the plastic carrying handle on the generator and take it anyway. It'll still be worth enough for a "fix or two".....[/QUOTE]

Yes, I already put all my stuff away, the point I was making that I do now. Even during the day if I’m not in my camp site, it’s away.

Should have mentioned that we are driving back and forth. Spending the night at the campground and leaving early for work. The 1.5 hour commute each is way more than set off by the sound of silence and the sight of stars.

Sorry I was not clear on exactly how I was camping and commuting. No need to worry about my stuff, you can rest easy. Thanks much for your concern and insight.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:11 AM   #31
Ken / Claudia

German shepherd guy, thanks for your comments. I consider 1 german shepherd a anti theft device. 5 a army, I think you and your vehicle are safe.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #32
Javi

Nowadays if I want to get rid of some piece of furniture or appliances all I have to do is set it in the front yard with a For Sale sign on it...

It's gotten so bad that the DW and I have actually been gambling small wagers on how long it will take before someone STEALS the junk.

Currently the record is 18 minutes.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:15 AM   #33
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Nowadays if I want to get rid of some piece of furniture or appliances all I have to do is set it in the front yard with a For Sale sign on it...

It's gotten so bad that the DW and I have actually been gambling small wagers on how long it will take before someone STEALS the junk.

Currently the record is 18 minutes.
Had an old microwave I put in the new microwaves box and set it outside on the porch at Christmas time . I was hoping some porch pirate would steal it but it's still sitting there. I may have to try the for sale sign and see if that works better.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:36 AM   #34
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Had an old I put in the new microwaves Box and set it outside on the porch at Christmas time . I was hoping some porch pirate would steal it but it's still sitting there. I may have to try the for sale sign and see if that works better.

You are a GENIUS! I’m going to start putting my trash back into all my amazon boxes and put them back on the porch!
Old 01-13-2019, 08:32 AM   #35
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
You are a GENIUS! I’m going to start putting my trash back into all my amazon boxes and put them back on the porch!
Turn about is fair play in my book. Steal away porch pirates. Steal away.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:29 PM   #36
ljp

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmw View Post
Fortunately, I have not been a victim of RV theft but it looks like this is becoming more and more common. I am curious as to what seems to be the main driving factor in these thefts? I know the end goal is money, but where are the majority of the stolen units going? I haven't heard of a many recovery's Are they being resold with fake titles, stripped for parts, used to make drugs in?
Please post if you have gotten a recovery or theft story where the thieves were caught? Just curious. Thanks
You can likely guess as many factors for these thefts as I can and the end goal may not always be money. Our TT was stolen (out of our back yard) & recovered a short number of miles from our home in a dead-end street near RR tracks. The trailer was trashed and appears to have been a temporary place to live. Based on materials in the trailer when recovered it was, IMO, very likely being used to manufacture drugs.

You can read the long story and comments regarding our TT theft by clicking "Search" on this site and enter "Stolen 195RB." The incident occurred during May 2017.

On the replacement trailer we purchased, we keep a Proven Industries trailer coupler lock attached when stored.
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:47 PM   #37
ljp

Heard this one recently:

If you have a cat and have a small box that can be placed as "bait," fill the small box with used cat litter
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #38
Ken / Claudia

Sounds like OR and SC have about the same problems I mentioned in post #15.
Meth use and manufacture started in Eugene Or and spread like wildfire. For many years it was THE major drug problem here. We used to get updated training in it's type of use and method of manufacture every 2 years. Meth labs were found in rental homes, rvs and vans. Than along came heroin made south of the border and heroin became dirt cheap and is again the major problem with the south of the border meth, it's a close 2nd.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:46 AM   #39
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Sounds like OR and SC have about the same problems I mentioned in post #15.
Meth use and manufacture started in Eugene Or and spread like wildfire. For many years it was THE major drug problem here. We used to get updated training in it's type of use and method of manufacture every 2 years. Meth labs were found in rental homes, rvs and vans. Than along came heroin made south of the border and heroin became dirt cheap and is again the major problem with the south of the border meth, it's a close 2nd.
And I still can’t get a box of $12 pseudoephedrine without a $180 Dr. visit and prescription.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:18 AM   #40
Ken / Claudia

Yeah, it's just like any thing the police do to prevent crime, the criminals find a way to go around them. We pretty much shut down big meth labs in the US by making the products they used hard to get. So, those in the drug trade south of our border ramped up and took over.
And we cannot get cold meds.