Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2018, 08:50 PM   #81
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles65 View Post
I am now considering constructing a building made of wood, for my RV. I have built a free-standing building, before, and it's still around, and looking good, thirteen years later. Pouring piers, as I did for the other building, may work, but this RV shelter might be too big, and weigh too much, to go that way. I need to do some research.
I had this one built, it was around 6K and he ran 30 amp service and water for me. 6X6 cedar posts and 6X12 or 14 cedar beams, aluminum roof panels.

It has survived some pretty good gusts, that blew pecan trees over in the meadow across from it.

-Brian
Old 10-17-2018, 03:32 AM   #82
Miles65

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
I had this one built, it was around 6K and he ran 30 amp service and water for me. 6X6 cedar posts and 6X12 or 14 cedar beams, aluminum roof panels.

It has survived some pretty good gusts, that blew pecan trees over in the meadow across from it.

-Brian
Good looking work. I'd like to know the breakdown, if you have it, for labor and parts on that 6K figure. Thanks, Brian.
Miles65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:23 AM   #83
Miles65

Looks like I can get this for $2700, delivered and installed. I'm tempted, although I'm still getting prices on lumber and a metal roof. I prefer to build the shelter, myself, but I'm still mulling things over. The price includes 12' legs, with 12 gauge steel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181017_101632.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	536.0 KB
ID:	18943  
Old 10-17-2018, 07:33 AM   #84
JRTJH
Site Team

That same structure is available in various "snow load/wind load" configurations. My BIL commented when they visited us in Louisiana that the $999 cost for a 24x24 carport was cheap. That was "years ago" when prices were much cheaper than today. He considered buying several to bring back to Michigan so he could "make a profit". When we started looking more closely, the $1999 (at that time) same carports being sold in Michigan were nothing like the ones sold in Louisiana. Much thinner metal framing, thinner steel sheet roofing, smaller and fewer screws/bolts...

My point is, be sure of what "model/snow/wind load" rating that kind of structure has. In your part of Texas, you'll probably find one brand selling for $2000 and another brand selling for $2500. The more expensive one may actually be the "no brainer better buy"..... Educate yourself before buying the cheapest kit that Lowe's has.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:49 AM   #85
Miles65

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That same structure is available in various "snow load/wind load" configurations. My BIL commented when they visited us in Louisiana that the $999 cost for a 24x24 carport was cheap. That was "years ago" when prices were much cheaper than today. He considered buying several to bring back to Michigan so he could "make a profit". When we started looking more closely, the $1999 (at that time) same carports being sold in Michigan were nothing like the ones sold in Louisiana. Much thinner metal framing, thinner steel sheet roofing, smaller and fewer screws/bolts...

My point is, be sure of what "model/snow/wind load" rating that kind of structure has. In your part of Texas, you'll probably find one brand selling for $2000 and another brand selling for $2500. The more expensive one may actually be the "no brainer better buy"..... Educate yourself before buying the cheapest kit that Lowe's has.......
From the company website: "- - rated for 140 mph wind rating a 30 psf snow load." It's 36x12x12.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:55 AM   #86
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Looks like I can get this for $2700, delivered and installed. I'm tempted, although I'm still getting prices on lumber and a metal roof. I prefer to build the shelter, myself, but I'm still mulling things over. The price includes 12' legs, with 12 gauge steel.
As John mentioned, be sure and do your homework and check around on pricing. Compare components. The one you quote above has the 12ga steel for the posts and cross members I suppose. That's what we got and it was an upgrade from the standard. We also had them place additional bracing across the roof beams due to wind concerns. The standard had 29ga steel panels if I recall and we specified 26ga. The standard also had roof ridges that ran horizontally instead of vertically. We had them installed vertically so snow could slide off instead of build up. We didn't get the rounded edges like the one shown. I wanted a regular sloped roof with built in gutters under the eaves - pretty cool and you don't even see them as gutters. LOTS of options, lots of companies building them and LOTS of variance in the components used so look hard. I talked to about 5 of them all over SE NM and W TX before I got the one I did.

Oh, and I usually like to do things myself as well. Having multiple structures of various kinds of materials I've found I like steel pretty well vs wood or wood products. So much less maintenance and the construction part is what's wonderful - they do it...and can probably have it done in a day if you have the area leveled and ready for them!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:59 AM   #87
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
From the company website: "- - rated for 140 mph wind rating a 30 psf snow load." It's 36x12x12.
If you think that's strong enough for your location, that's an "answered question".... Here, the local codes require a 70 pound/sqft snow load, south of around MI-55, that changes to a 50 pound/sqft snow load. I'd suppose for you, it's more about wind load than snow load, but how does their competition rate their buildings? If it's the same rating, great, if not, I'd go with the strongest building I could get for the money spent. (Not saying this isn't the strongest)......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:49 AM   #88
Mikendebbie

RV cover

Miles - get a price from Texas Backyard Structures (Grand Ave. and IH35 in Pflugerville). I am going to get a carport structure from them in a few weeks. I bought a storage building from them couple of years back and they were good folks to deal with.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:34 PM   #89
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Good looking work. I'd like to know the breakdown, if you have it, for labor and parts on that 6K figure. Thanks, Brian.
It was quoted as a complete deal, never really saw a breakdown of materials VS labor, but the guy built it by himself and I know cedar prices are through the roof.

He recently built us a pavilion, in the pool area, with 10X10 cedar posts.
The wall is 2X8 cedar, in a metal frame.

The guy is amazing.

-Brian

Old 10-19-2018, 04:34 AM   #90
wiredgeorge

Miles, I went to the San Antonio Home and Garden show a number of years ago and contracted with a local company to put up a car port very similar to the one pictured especially noting the way the gables are set. I had sides put on mine and was supposed to have the back closed in. The guy's installers came out and did the install and put up a structure high enough for an RV I think. They put on sides but no back. First time the wind blew, the structure started leaning as there wasn't enough strength where the uprights bend towards the roof. Those sections are only bent and have little strength as a result. The puny little braces as shown didn't help a bit. My building was going to come down but i backed my old pickup and pushed the building back to where it was standing upright again. Got a guy from a local welding shop to come out, get on a ladder and weld cross braces so the building wouldn't fold up like a house of cards. Also, my building was put on base and they just drove long bolts in to anchor. Probably a foot or less for most.

A high structure like an RV port needs some thought. You can get a couple different gauge steel but I think I would be leery of this type construction. Buy a few bags of concrete and use metal tubing and find a welder. That square channel stuff kind of scares me based on my experience. If the basic structure is all welded up, you can put your own roof on it.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #91
Miles65

I'll probably guy any structure I go with. My original stood very straight in the wind, with its guys. The problem was not in the sides giving way. The frigid temps made the roof couplings very brittle. Then, with the buffeted tarp putting pressure on those couplings, they cracked and released their pipes which then flapped around with the tarp, shattering nearby pipes. My pipe structure sides were still fine, after the roof gave way. I could have spliced in new crosses, and a lower roof, but I no longer trust free-standing PVC, for obvious reasons.