Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2018, 12:05 PM   #21
ADQ K9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 4 View Post
Good point regarding tire pressure John. I've also heard on this forum of looping a length of chain/cable through the tire rim holes and securing with a lock. There might be some movement if chocks slip but the trailer could only go so far before the chain/cable stops everything.
I have seen this used as a security measure more so to keep wheels on the trailer and to thwart thieves from rolling off with your trailer.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:34 PM   #22
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think using X-Chocks as a tire chock for safety (as opposed to for stability) is something that people will argue "until the cows come home". You'll have people who say they are not safe, because they are not reliable (me included) and you'll have people who insist that since they've always done it and never had a problem, then damn-it there is no reason to be concerned....

I'll just say that this was in the box when I bought my X-Chocks and I don't know if BAL is still including it or not. I'm no longer using X-Chocks, they are on the shelf, and I'm no longer "in the game of proving they work"....

It would be interesting to hear what BAL has to say if someone sent them an email asking, "Can I rely on your X-Chocks to safely prevent my trailer from rolling downhill while parked at a campsite, or should I also use "undertire chocks" for safety?"....

Good points John. I use the X-Chocks in addition to wheel chocks. And retighten after an adult beverage. I don't get the part in their instructions about raising or lowering the TT tongue. How do the wheels attempt to turn if all you are doing is raising or lowering the body on the suspension.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:49 PM   #23
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Good points John. I use the X-Chocks in addition to wheel chocks. And retighten after an adult beverage. I don't get the part in their instructions about raising or lowering the TT tongue. How do the wheels attempt to turn if all you are doing is raising or lowering the body on the suspension.
IMHO it's not that the wheels roll/turn, but that as you raise/lower the trailer the springs loosen/tighten affecting, to a small degree, the gap between the 2 tires, with the X chock tightened between the tires now has become a wedge that gets tighter the more you raise/lower the rv.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:47 PM   #24
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
harley, 'most of the time' they are off the ground isn't typical.

unless you are always rving on ground that is at a angle the wheels should typcially be ON the ground. Take a look at your jacks legs, you might have to drop them a hole.

as for the chocks, have tried to use them, never really figured i needed them.

Most of my (few) camping experiences thus far have been on grass sites, in fact all of them have, come to think of it, and so yes, the sites have not been "bubble-level" by any means.
My near future camping trips include mostly all concrete pads, so that should give me a better idea whether I have an issue with my leg height, but I currently doubt it.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:11 PM   #25
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
IMHO it's not that the wheels roll/turn, but that as you raise/lower the trailer the springs loosen/tighten affecting, to a small degree, the gap between the 2 tires, with the X chock tightened between the tires now has become a wedge that gets tighter the more you raise/lower the rv.
I believe your opinion is dead on. I made the mistake of starting to raise the front of the trailer ONE time forgetting to remove them first. The X-Chocks got so tight I couldn't get them loose until I lowered the front back to approx. where it was.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:58 AM   #26
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Never really took note of the springs binding and pushing the wheels together. I will level TT front/back then puts X-Chocks in place for all the time it takes. Good advice.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:13 AM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

I use rubber wheel chocks before unhitching. After unhitched and level fore and aft I install X-Chocks to help prevent rocking and not rolling off. Never had one loosen. If there falling out then either they were not installed correctly or you need to work out a little at the gym so you can tighten them up. JMHO
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slideout