Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2017, 04:04 PM   #1
xrated

Onboard Fuel Tank...What to Do.....

I have a question for all of you Toy Hauler folks that have been through at least one winter with the Toy Hauler. So, this will be my first winter after using the onboard fuel tank (30 gallon) and I'm wondering how to deal with winter storage in that regard. So, my question is this; should I completely fill the tank before winter and use a product like StaBil to stabilize the gasoline during the winter months.....OR....should I try to empty it completely and risk moisture getting into the tank. I know that the StaBil product works very well and have used it in the past on motorcycles, lawn mowers, trimmers, etc but was just wondering if there is a preferred method in regard to the Toy Hauler 30 gallon tank? So what say you on this topic?
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:38 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I've got a 28 gallon tank in my boat, it's essentially the same "problem" during storage as your tank. I put the boat in the pole barn in October, usually don't get it out until mid May, so it's in storage for 7 or 8 months. Stabil red is only good for about 30 days, Stabil gray (marine formula) is supposed to be good for 6 months. If I filled the tank before storage and added either one, the gas would "expire" before I get the boat out of storage, so I just haven't used either. What I do is drain the fuel tank completely before storing the boat and in the spring, I fill the tank with fresh fuel, add some Seafoam to the first tank and I've never had any problems with water. I do use only "ethanol free gas" in all my equipment, so I don't face the "gas separation" problems associated with "enriched gas"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #3
xrated

John.....is the tank in your boat a metal tank or a plastic tank? One of my concerns with moisture in there is obviously rust.

Edit.....I just looked at the Stabil website and they say in the FAQ section that it should keep fuel stabilzed/fresh for 12 months or longer, if added to the fuel at the time it is put in the tank.....

https://www.goldeagle.com/brands/sta-bil-faqs

Old 09-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #4
MattHelm21

I run the generator for two hours minimum a month even in the winter. That moves enough gas that I add more pumping from the toy tank to the generator tank. I than put some fresh fuel in the toy tank and a bit more Stabil. Its my personal preference and only time will tell but I think it is more important to keep the tanks full.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Xrated,

It's a plastic tank, so definitely no problems with rust. Either way, I'd be more concerned with running 30 gallons of "stale gas" through my equipment than I would with adding either "dry-gas" or Seafoam to disperse the small amount of condensation that might accumulate during the winter.

I can see either way as having advantages and disadvantages, for me, I don't feel comfortable with stale gas (been burned more than once) so I prefer to deal with fresh gas and some possible condensation that's handled by the Seafoam. As for the rust from a metal tank... I dunno ...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:55 PM   #6
Desert185

I have a pickup that is stored over the winter in another state. Plastic tank. I never fill it. Same with a couple of quads at the same location. The fuel is non-ethanol with Stabil red added. The reason for not filling it is to be able to add fresh gas before use. This year was two years since starting. The engine started right up and ran fine.

YMMV...and others may disagree with my positive experience in storing vehicles over the years.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #7
mfifield01

I sold a boat before I bought my TT. I always read to fill it full with some type of stabilizer. I used the marine Stabil, but the boat never sat for more than a couple of months. Stabil claims that it can keep fuel fresh for 24 months. From their website, "Keeps fuel fresh for up to 24 months during storage".
Old 09-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #8
spicercars

I do not use stabil as I have had problems every time I used it. As for the gas tank in the raptor I only put in non oxy with a little bit of sea foam. Never had a problem. Whatever the level is in the fall I treat it and top it off in the spring. Generator always fires right up with no problems.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:53 AM   #9
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

I run the generator under load at least once a month throughout the year and have had no issues. Good time to top off batteries through out the year
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:30 AM   #10
Tinner12002

I also usually leave whatever gas is in the tank and add seafoam. In the spring I add fresh gas with a little seafoam to just help keep everything clean. I've never filled the tank knowing its going to sit all winter...just seen no reason to do that.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:29 AM   #11
Desert185

With a uncoated steel tank in an area with high humidity there might be justification for having a full tank for a long storage period to fight condensation and the resulting rusting, but with plastic tanks rust isn't an issue.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:31 AM   #12
gary31

I fill the tank before I winterize for storage. I use Stabil in the gas, every few weeks I stop by fire up the generator watch a little TV do some handy work in the camper and drink a beer. This keeps the Genny in top shape and lets me hang out by myself for a couple hours. I also like to know that in an emergency event Snow or ice I have a secondary lodge should I need it, as well as a ready source of fuel to use in my home generator should I need it.

Enjoying the Grandkids like No Tomorrow!
-----------------------------------------------
2015 Carbon 31
2013 F250 CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel
2005 Honda Rancher & 2017 RZR 900S
gary31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:52 AM   #13
xrated

Well, I believe I'll just fill the tank then, add the correct amount of StaBil....maybe a dab or two extra....and call it good. I do pretty good at hooking up my 50 amp shore power cord over the winter to keep the batteries charged, but I've got to improve on starting and loading the genny more frequently over the winter months.

Thanks to all that posted up what works for y'all.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #14
Racebug

do we have steel tanks in the toy haulers? I always assumed they were plastic.

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:33 PM   #15
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racebug View Post
do we have steel tanks in the toy haulers? I always assumed they were plastic.
My Fuzion Impact model 303 is definitely a metal tank. I'm too lazy to walk out there and check whether it's steel or aluminum.....but my money is on it being steel.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:52 AM   #16
rick-eureka

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Well, I believe I'll just fill the tank then, add the correct amount of StaBil....maybe a dab or two extra....and call it good. I do pretty good at hooking up my 50 amp shore power cord over the winter to keep the batteries charged, but I've got to improve on starting and loading the genny more frequently over the winter months.

Thanks to all that posted up what works for y'all.
I almost always fill tank and add Stabil or Marvel Mystery Oil. I usually run it for at least 30 minutes each month of winter. Did not do this last winter, stupidity. Generator would not start this spring and started giving out codes. Took it to a good mechanic. Ended up pulling tank, flushing it and replacing filter. Mechanic said fuel broke down and gunked everything up. Added an inline fuel filter. Will always fill and add stabilizer. from now on. Will start and let it run for a while each month also.
rick-eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:47 AM   #17
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-eureka View Post
I almost always fill tank and add Stabil or Marvel Mystery Oil. I usually run it for at least 30 minutes each month of winter. Did not do this last winter, stupidity. Generator would not start this spring and started giving out codes. Took it to a good mechanic. Ended up pulling tank, flushing it and replacing filter. Mechanic said fuel broke down and gunked everything up. Added an inline fuel filter. Will always fill and add stabilizer. from now on. Will start and let it run for a while each month also.
Do you have a fuel cutoff? You can typically run the fuel out of the carb/bowl with a cutoff. On my Champion, I flip the fuel mechanical switch and let it run until it dies. It will sputter as the fuel runs out of the carb. This way it makes it harder to gunk up.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:30 PM   #18
tinman50

i have winterized my toy haulers for about 6 years I'm in north idaho and store my toy hauler outside next to my house. i put a canoe sea foam in the tank then run the generator for about a half an hour when take the cover off it pull the air cleaner and spray onan engine fogger into the carb until the engine stalls. always starts up quickly the next spring it smokes for about half a minute till the fogger clears and then runs like normal when i fill the sxs it also runs normal. the biggest thing i have found thats important is to use only non ethanol premium fuel in the tank it resits degrading much longer and the engines run better.
tinman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:07 PM   #19
Chris P

I'm a boat owner and had issues with fuel.Turns out the cap was bad but I never fill the tank b4 storing and get most of the fuel out. Since doing that haven't had any more issues but use startron fuel treatment all the time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:36 PM   #20
rwmurphy15

Mine is steel.

Tags
fuel, tank