View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 11:52 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I live in a rural environment and have a shop office about 150 - 200 feet from my home router. We get our internet via Hughesnet right now and have the 50 gig plan so we can stream movies. We don't stream that many but have never gotten near our plan's limit. I send the internet up to my office using a Netgear AC750 as has already been mentioned; It is a range extender for extending the range of your router and I don't think would help boost a signal inside an RV. I have an USB Wifi outdoor antenna on my shop and it picks up the range extender. Can't recall the name of this antenna but is is powered through the usb. The antenna is on an outside wall and the USB cord comes in through a window (made a small hole in the frame). My antenna is very directional but a similar antenna mounted on a pole attached to your ladder or the like and you are able to turn it in the direction of the wifi would probably help. I am also not sure how far a USB cable can go but the cable would have to go into an extender or router inside the RV or directly into your computer.

We are hopefully leaving Hughesnet next week. Have an appointment with AT&T Fixed Wireless Internet installer. They put an antenna up next to your house on a pole or mount on the side of your house; it is line of sight internet signal coming from a local AT&T tower and we are supposed to be in range. I have my doubts but it is $70 a month WITH NO CONTRACT and $99 for the antenna and router (they call it a gateway). I hope it works because we pay well over double that for Hughesnet. Hughesnet service is OK except for peak times and I think too many folks use it and downloads seem to be a lot slower meaning it is not always easy to stream movies on Netflix.

I use my phone for a hotspot for several years with AT&T and had 32 gigs a month for almost $200. We could stream some movies but had to keep an eye on the data usage. If you went over it was $10 a gig which can mount up if you binge watch some shows. If you go over with the new Fixed Wireless Internet service it is $10 for each 50 gigs of data. If you sign a contract for the Fixed Wireless service, it is for a year and you get $10 off and you may be able to bundle telephone and DirecTV for more discounts but I didn't go there.
George, hopefully the ATT wireless will work for you. When wifi/internet was first getting started the first opportunity we had for any kind of broadband was from a local company that installed repeaters on the water towers in town. Although I was a manager for the local telco at the time the telcos did not offer any service like that so I went with them. They installed the pole with antenna on the side of my house nearest the water tower and ran a cable inside to the router. Worked far better than anything we had ever known and used it for several years until the telcos caught up. Hopefully they will provide you better service at a lower cost.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote