View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 09:17 AM   #30
mhbell

I learned the hard way

I learned the hard way. The first thing is to weigh the 5th wheel with everything you are going to take on a trip Including fresh water and full propane half full black and gray tanks use water to fill them. Now go to a CAT Scale (pilot, Flying J. or other) and weigh the truck and trailer with axles on different parts of the scale so each axle is weighed. Yes the 1/2 ton I was using would pull the so called half ton trailer, but I was way over its limits. The Pin weight alone was 1,540 Lbs this with the front compartment almost empty and very light items in it. The batteries and full propane tanks added a bunch. Then I checked the axle specs and the tires on the half ton tow veh and found that they were not designed to carry all of the weight from the trailer and what was in the truck. I also had a F250 and it was barly in spec's. Never had a problem towing even in the mountains, but I wish I would have had a F350 for safetys sake. Weigh weigh the rig fully loaded and then make a desicion.
Mel