View Single Post
Old 10-06-2018, 03:38 PM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

I just had an issue happen yesterday that would seem appropriate to post in this thread dealing with AC power and an EMS power module.

We had friends that had been traveling all around the Northwest returning back this way and wanted to stop and visit for a day or two. They inquired about a place to put their RV (40' Grand Design 5vr). I suggested they may want to stay at the little RV park that the city provides for free. They came in and got into the site and got ready to set up. I was there as well. A fellow came walking up and said the power was "iffy". They used an EMS but he just pulled out his meter and we began checking outlets. He had backed into the only 50A plug they had so we checked it; 120 on one hot leg not the other and only to ground...no neutral. Went to the next 30A and no power; went to the next 30A and....120 to grd on one side, the neutral side had 260VAC!!! It would have fried whoever/whatever plugged into it. I advised he leave and go to an RV park and pay for a site which he did.

These are the kinds of things "lurking" at various RV parks that may or may not have good power. I've found several places like that and it is the reason that an EMS is absolutely critical before you plug in IMO. Don't know how I went years without one but won't leave home without one now.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote