Thread: Broken Axle
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 08:56 AM   #11
GeekSquadOfUn

We had new Lippert 6000# axles replaced on our 2010 Sabre 5th wheel 2 years ago, whole axle assembly, brakes and all. We had those so-called Sealed Bearing System, they were shot and not replaceable, hence new axles.... a though pill to swallow then.

Fast forward to April 24 this year, coming back from Texas we had a similar experience on I-75 near Florence, KY.

One whole wheel fell off, just like you. Incredibly, we never found it, it disappeared in thin air. My guess it fell off after hitting a pothole, and there were sooooo many big ones, unavoidable ones too.

AAA tow truck accompanied us, rolling on 3 wheels - as he could not see how he could do it with his flat bed - we drove at 20 mph to the nearest RV repair shop and believe it or not, the next day, they had installed a new Dexter 6000# axle and we were on the road back home, having pput my spare wheel/tire on.

My insurance (I'm from Canada by the way) paid it all, including hotel and meals..

I complained to Lippert by email, sent pics of the broken axle. They offered a free axle assembly to keep me happy - I no longer needed it, but had it sent to my dealer. We traded it in for a new Cougar... happy as clams. Not worried about 2nd axle shearing off.

Everyone told me it was bad weld on the axle... makes sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	axle1.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	457.1 KB
ID:	22273   Click image for larger version

Name:	axle2.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	532.2 KB
ID:	22274   Click image for larger version

Name:	axle3.jpg
Views:	1959
Size:	643.3 KB
ID:	22275  
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote