View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 07:44 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't have any experience with "power upgrades" for the 3.5l ecoboost. My concern, however, would be changing the weakest link from one component to another. In the diesel superduty line, there is a limiter built into the programming to delay full power to the transmission in the lower gears. Ford describes it as a "protective feature to prevent maximum torque application which may damage the transmission".

In the F150, the transmission, transfer case, drive shafts and universal joints are not as "strong" as in the superduty. Adding a "HP/torque boost" may place more power to those components causing more than "engine damage". That would be even more important to consider, especially with the increased load on the truck caused by towing a heavy load/trailer.

Depending on the "refinement" or "sophistication" of the programmed tuner, it may allow maximum power and torque to the driveline in low gears, causing increased potential for damage. I'd sure want to know how "fool-proof" the system is, not that I couldn't/wouldn't drive appropriately, but sometimes someone else may drive the truck and not be aware of the "weak links" created by the programmer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote