View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 12:04 PM   #62
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeheel4life View Post
It's already been said but there are good dog "parents" and not so good. I take my dogs just about everywhere that they are ALLOWED. If they aren't allowed they are in the truck, trailer, or home.
We get that not everyone wants our dog to meet them so they are on leash when around people. Off leash when away from camp, other dogs, and people. Getting dogs off the leash is one of the reasons we go camping.
As far as dogs and food, we take our dogs to brunch occasionally on an outdoor patio that allows dogs. They are on leash and lay next to us at the table. Not sniffing others plates or harassing other patrons or begging for food. So I guess I don't see the problem with having them at an outdoor food establishment where the management approves.

Curious if theres any part of this program that sounds offensive to others that have responded here.
This big girl loves to make sure I'm taking my time on the forklift.
I had said in a previous post that dogs don't belong in restaurants. With that I meant enclosed, crowded type restaurants. Even IF they are allowed. There are too many folks with phobias, allergies etc. for the owner to insist that they take their dog into something like that. All we as dog owners do then is reinforce their dislike of us and the animals and perpetuate the stories of "THOSE people" (dog owners). There is no valid reason to try to do that; the dog doesn't have to be with the owner; it doesn't have to go inside so it can eat...or lay down. It's there because the owner WANTS it to be.....because. My dog can legally go anywhere I do, but I don't because most of the time it isn't a necessity - and it can, and has, really upset people. No need for that unless it can't be avoided.

As far as the question if anything about what you said is offensive....not to me. To me there is a distinction between an outdoor type setting on a patio etc. in a dog friendly establishment vs one like I described above - as long as the animals are good and they are on a leash. There is a place in Pagosa Springs with a patio by the river that has some great cinnamon rolls. We like to take our dog with us there and so do other folks. The water bowls are out and they have treats for them. It is open so I don't worry about folks with allergies; after that, in that environment, if a person just doesn't like dogs....they probably shouldn't be there since that is what the place promotes.

And yes, by looking at that puppy's face I think she is all but begging to get her hands....err, paws, on the controls! She looks like my pup; watches every move I make when driving the vehicle; if she thinks I'm pushing the wrong button, or pulling the wrong lever, she perks her ears and cocks her head as if to say "hey, that's not right...do you know what you're doing?", then looks at me with ears up and a piercing stare. Then, I have to double check everything to make sure I didn't make a mistake (just kidding). One of these days I'm just going to have to get in the passenger seat and let her take a spin.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote