View Single Post
Old 06-16-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
mikec557

Must lighten rear axle: Tongue Wt vs Weight Distribution Hitch

Must lighten rear axle: Tongue Wt vs Weight Distribution Hitch

Hi everyone
I think (know) I am too close to/over the weight limit of our truck. However, there are so many ways of looking at this that I am not sure what to think. What I would like to do is give you the weight readings I have and the stats from the vehicle labels and get your feedback. I used a closed weigh station (truck stop) in Oregon to get the weights. In fact, I initially used two different closed weigh stations to see if they would read the same. They did. I should also say they weigh in 50lb increments.

Tow vehicle is 2017 Chev Silverado 1500 LT double cab (not crew cab),
5.3 v8, 3.42 rear diff which has max towing of 9,400lbs
GVRW 7000
GAWR/F 3850
GAWR/R 3950
GCWR 15,000

2017 Keystone half-ton 24RBSWE
The trailer is not near me as I type this but my recollection is that it has a dry weight of 5900lbs and that cargo should not exceed 1400lbs.

The only weigh-in I have on the trailer is loaded with our daily living, two batteries, half a load on 60lbs of propane, empty tanks, and connected to the truck with the equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch: the trailer weighed in at 6550lbs. (both it's axles on the scale)

But, at the time of this weigh-in the front axle was 3100 and the rear axle was 4700. Yes the rear was really over loaded, but at the time I had no idea. Now my goal is to prevent that in the future…

=====================

Truck, myself, wife, dog, 3/4 tank of gas, truck bed full of stuff, and Equil-i-zer weight distribution and anti-sway hitch in the receiver is f:3300 r:3200

Empty bed and without hitch in receiver is f:3350 r:2600

For the record, I can't believe that the stuff in the bed (and with the hitch hanging on the back) could weigh 600lb, but that's what I wrote down and I have to believe it's true. To be sure, I can and will jettison some stuff out of the truck bed, but only in the neighborhood of about 200 lbs. (and what's left can't weigh 400lbs)

I don't have a tongue weight yet, but I question the need for it. Doesn't the use of a weight distribution hitch change the thinking about adding "tongue weight" to rear axle load? Isn't it true that what I have to correct is (while connected) the front and rear axles do not exceed their GVWR, and that I don't exceed the GCVWR? And of course not exceed the trailer's cargo weight limit, but we are well within that.

Maybe I'm standing too close to the trees to see the forest. What are your thoughts? What is important in all this data, and what isn't? Is it possible to adjust the weight distribution hitch to shift some of the weight of the trailer further forward so its a little less on the rear axle and more on the front axle?

Thanks in advance for all input.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote