View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 04:56 AM   #18
goodellj

I have Direct TV at home since 2007 and bought our 5er in 2012. I was completely dissatisfied with the quality and channel selection when we full-timed in 2013 so I got a Winegard Traveler dish antenna and teamed it up with an extra DVR receiver that we leave in the camper. This too has lots of issues like trees, home area channels, weather, etc, but it has worked well for us for quite a few years. Since 2014 we have been AZ snowbirds and when we stay at our favorite place for 3 months we get DirecTV to change our location, giving us the home area channels for Phoenix.

Fast forward to 2019 and we are considering dropping Direct TV service and subscribing to a streaming internet TV service. We have the bandwidth and speed with our home internet service and I am looking into mobile internet solutions for the camper. We need internet anyway, and if I can get it fast enough and cheap enough, we can use the same streaming service on the road as we would at home. By replacing home and mobile TV service we can save hundreds of dollars per year. Stay tuned. Researching mobile data services and plans is a story for another day.

The Winegard Traveler was a major expense but I think we have gotten our money's worth out of it over the past 7 years.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote