View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 11:34 AM   #56
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
funny this just came up. I spent a good 1/2 hour on the phone with ford this week, trying to find out why my f250 6.7 sb only has a weight capacity of 2036 payload per my door sticker. Rear axle is 6100 lbs, front axle is apprx 5000 lbs. GVWR is 10K. tires a rated at 3050 @ 65 psi cold. yest side walls say 3450 at 80psi. ford says the 2000lbs is computer generated, and could not explain where the other 1k lbs of capacity whent.
2015 f250
2018.5 331rl HC

Hardly anyone will take the time to read all the rules and regulations that are used to determine the final vehicle certification results by their manufacturers.

Within those rules and regulations are provisions that the vehicle manufacturer MUST apply. The tires and axles MUST provide a percentage of load capacity reserves. When the axles provide more load capacity than necessary to support the vehicle GVWR it's load capacity reserves. When the tires provide - via inflation - more load capacity than is required to support the GAWR they are fitted to, it's load capacity reserves. When an owner uses replacement tires to gain load capacity they are only providing load capacity reserves.

("The FMVSS have requirements for the manufacturer to use proper tires and rims for the gross axle weight rating (GAWR) and the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). The manufacturer may determine the GVWR by adding cargo capacity (if any) to the curb weight of the vehicle as manufactured. The wise consumer, before purchase, will determine if the vehicle has sufficient cargo capacity to carry the weight of water, additional equipment (such as televisions, and microwave ovens), and luggage. The manufacturer’s certification label must show the GVWR. The GVWR must not be exceeded by overloading the vehicle. There is little the government can do to assist a consumer who has purchased a vehicle that has insufficient cargo capacity for its intended use.")
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote