Thread: 4 bike carriers
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
Outbackmel

4 Bike Carrier reply

Good luck with that! I "had" a very expensive, high quality, 3 bike carrier on a 2 inch receiver, on the rear bumper of my Outback 5er; 36 ft'er. On 2 trips to FL (800 mi roundtrip) constantly tightening tie down straps and worrying about severe vibration shaking something loose (and straps DO come loose). FYI, I am "anal" when attaching "stuff" to ensure it will not fall or damage my rig or worse cause injury to others. When NOT Rv'ing, we tow 2, 1,000 lb motorcycles everywhere on an open trailer. NEVER had an incident of damage or even any weight shift.

We leave for a cross country trip in 3 days...changed up. Put one smaller bike (w/o front wheel) wrapped and stowed in bed of truck. Bought a ladder carrier for 2 bikes and only mounted 1 and it would take "Rambo" to tear it off.
3rd bike? well, one of 3 things along our journey:
Option 1: buy a folding bicycle and bag from CW and stow it inside RV.
Option 2: once we hit AZ for 2 months; buy a used bike and donate it to charity when we leave.
Option 3: Leave golf clubs home and take bike #3 (NOT)

There is another option; buy a toy hauler; but then we have to take the motorcycles AND bicycles...ohhhhhhhh myyyy...decisions, decisions.....
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote