View Single Post
Old 06-01-2018, 08:47 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

The only place I use Eternabond is on a cut/gouge in the middle of the EPDM/TPO roof membrane or on the "roof/wall edge" of a slide. On any other location I use DICOR self leveling sealant. The only reason I don't use sealant on the slide edges is because the DICOR won't set up and will stick to the rubber seals when the slide is retracted. DICOR takes years to "completely cure" and will adhere to slide seals 2 or 3 years after application if left in contact for months (as in winter storage).

Here's one example of what I call an "eternabond mess". If you google "eternabond tape failure" you'll get hundreds of pictures of the tape not adhering properly. Not all of them are what I'd call "tape failure". Many are probably failure to clean the surface, applying while the surface is damp or oily, etc. I'm not going out on a limb and say "never use Eternabond". Rather I'd say, don't use it as a "band aid" where you should really be using DICOR the way the factory did, to cover screws, penetrations of the membrane and edges of extrusions. Putting a "permanent seal" over the entire area makes it very difficult, sometimes impossible to repair that area in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ETERNABOND TAPE FAILURE.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	16724  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote