View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 08:05 PM   #99
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I agree with Chris, I believe you don'e need XPS or 250's, just a quality LT tire of the correct size.

My current 5er has Yokohama LT 235/85-16 E's 3,042# ea. the number that Javi pointed out. Now I have 5,200# axles for an axle capacity of 10,400# that is 1,768# over axle capacity or 17%.

I just finished a rough scaling of the 5er. I weighed the TV the day before and unfortunately I did toss some extra stuff into the TV after, Maybe 50 to 100#. This gave me a pin of about 2,600# and 10,125# on the axles. Giving me a 12,725# or 365# over the listed GVWR (may need to loose some T shirts). Even at the weight I have 2,043# of unused tire capacity or 16.8% not bad at all. This on an LT tire with a built in weight reserve, I expect to get at least six years of service from these tires without worry.
Russ, you are, and have been, a prolific voice for 1) LT tires vs ST tires and 2) disregarding gvw etc. I think, personally, that you mislead those that have no idea what LT, ST, gvw, gvwr mean. You tow overweight based on your perceived beliefs on whatever it is that you think is "the truth" even if it is outside the beliefs of most folks. By your measures, everything you do has performed better than anyone else that has ever towed an RV. That's spectacular , but, that isn't the case for everyone; and I, nor many other RV owners, buy into your thoughts. Your belief (I think it is you) that because you buy a tire with a higher speed rating LT tire (106 mph?) and then drive slower gives you MORE weight rating is just.....questionable at best. Please show the specs.