View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 08:38 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I think what you're saying happens is that every once in a while you get a "blast of cold water" in the shower?

If that's what is happening, if you turn the shower water control off, it will "back up cold water into the shower hose". That will cause a burst of cold water as soon as you turn the shower water control back on...

If what's happening is that you get a blast of cold water while the shower head is flowing, even without touching the water control valve, then you might want to first verify that the bypass valve on the back of the water heater is completely turned to flow water into the water heater (ie: bypass valve off). If that is positioned properly and it continues to occasionally "blast cold water for no reason" then I'd look at the one way valve at the hot water discharge connection on the water heater. That valve may be sticking, then closing slightly when water pressure changes and some flow occurs through the bypass pipe from the lower (cold water inlet) to the upper (hot water outlet).

If it's none of these, then I'm not sure what may be happening.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote