Thread: Solar Confusion
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2019, 05:41 PM   #11
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorsam View Post
Logan X, soooooo.... looking at this picture you posted... I have a round plugin type thing that is up where the TV would be mounted and the wires are that connect to the built-in DVD player.
Are you saying that is like a cigarette plug for 12v power?? I had no idea what that was for... I thought it was for a different type of plug like for satellite or something. Who knew??!!! Clearly the guy that did the walkthrough didn't.
I noticed I already have some USB ports on one wall that I have used for charging my devices. The CD/DVD player also has a USB port. Is it possible that I already have an inverter built in? Somewhere?
I can pretty much guarantee that your Hideout did not come with an inverter.

I apologize if this information is too basic but I want to make sure we are talking about the same things.

Your trailer has 2 separate systems for power.

1: When you are plugged into shore power, that is using the 110v AC power system. Like a regular house, all of the outlets and everything works, including the air conditioner.

2: When you are not plugged into shore power, the trailer is powered by the batteries, which is the 12v DC system. The 12v system doesn’t power any outlets, just usb ports and the afore mentioned 12v cigarette lighter outlet. (Also the lights, water pump, etc)

To power something that needs to be plugged in a regular outlet, when using the 12v power system, you need an inverter. The inverter takes the power from the 12v battery and inverts it to 110v power.

Your trailer came with a power converter. The converter takes the 110v power when you are plugged into shore power and converts it to 12v power to run all of the 12v stuff when you are plugged in. This is so you don’t use your battery power when you are connected to shore power.

So your trailer came with a converter not an inverter.

The USB ports and the cigarette lighter are powered by the 12v battery system. That is why I only have a small inverter to power the TV. Pretty much every other system in the trailer will run off of the 12 v battery system (not the air conditioner or the 110v house outlets)

Anyways, sorry this was a long post. I hope that made sense.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote