Thread: 3.42 gear ratio
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 08:43 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
CC, I don't see any problem with your setup. Pulling up to 4k with the Silverado with that gear ratio also is not a problem. Keep in mind that just because you might go to a rear-end with gearing in the 3:90's or so, that isn't going to affect your mileage on a direct proportion. Fuel mileage is generally affected more by wind resistance than engine RPM. Ever notice how your vehicle will pull one direction or another with a low tire? Sometimes towing into a strong headwind (Think I-90, South Dakota) you want to cry when you see the mileage. All these items affect the mileage.
By the way, why is there always a headwind on I90 whether you are headed east or west....

LOL!! Just don't be traveling with us any time we go anywhere. DW swears that when I hitch up the trailer the wind gods know I'm towing and makes sure that I have a headwind no matter what direction I'm going. I've analyzed it pretty closely and I've now determined that there is "something" that is watching my auto gas mileage reading on the dash and refuses to let it get above 8mpg!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote