View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 05:38 PM   #1
ajk170

A/C Vent and ductwork modification

Hi All! I'm hoping for some insight by those that have made the A/C vent modification by blocking off the last 2-3 feet of their ductwork past their vents. I took my inspection scope and looked in my 316RL's ductwork and saw that I too had my ductwork extend 2-3 feet beyond the last vents in the living room and bedroom. I used the foam noodle that you use on water pipes to create the initial blockage and then used an insulating spray foam to "seal" the blockage. Effectively creating a blockage just past the vent.

My question is, now that the foam is dry, should I go back in and file the foam in order to metallic tape the blockage or should my insulating foam be fine?

I also added the closable louvers to all of the vents (all four!). I did notice that bathroom vent's tape job was terrible when I removed the OEM vent and saw that there were several "holes" in the tape that was allowing air to hit the vent. I think that explains why we always get condensation around the vent during the summer/hot months. I'm hoping the manner in which I sealed up that air leak seals it up!

I appreciate any thoughts!
-Andy
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote