Thread: Weight insight
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 05:50 PM   #27
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The 338db is too big for a regular 3/4 ton IMO. The pin is 2390 dry per Keystone. I know one poster thought it might be reversed and 1700 should be the pin. If you look at the website that would make the 338 pin weight much less than ANY of the other trailers while it is the, or one of the, largest so....gotta go with the website.

The 2390 pin will only go up; how much? 500 lbs? At least. Substantially more? Probably. At that point you need to look at the sticker on the door for payload. Take the anticipated pin weight, and the weights of all the things mentioned previously and you will be WELL over 3000 lbs.; maybe 4000. A 3/4 ton, of any kind, does not have that kind of payload. I know you think that the Duramax makes it better....not really. The diesel makes a big hit on your payload. It is a fine dance between payload, towing capacity, axle weights etc. As was suggested, load the truck and trailer up completely as if going on a month vacation. Take it to a scale and see where you land. You will be over payload if not a number of other indexes.

You have to realize there are some that believe if your truck will make it move you're good to go...you're not. Some will tell you "hey, it's a 3/4 ton but it can do anything a one ton can, it's just politics and it's rebadged "because".....that's not the case. It is a way for those running over their legal limits to justify it in their minds. Heck, one of them passed me on my way back from FL. 3/4 ton Ford, Landmark 5th wheel, bed drooped, ran past me at at least 75. Laughing, having a brew. Wind blowing about 30 or so. I'm rock steady in my rig at 65. These yahoos are all over both lanes (from time to time. At times they did stay in the same lane) with people trying to get out of their way. I'm positive they had justified in their mind that they were "good to go" and that 3/4 ton was really a 350 or 450 in disguise. Well, I guess everyone knew differently other than them.

Just load it all up, weigh it, look at the numbers on your truck and trailer and you make the decision.
I was going to just post the part necessary, BUT this is where the weight police start going overboard as much as the those that say a 3/4 ton can tow 16,000#!

Well the 338DB, only has a payload of 1,700#, so getting to 4,000# will be a little hard.
What is scary, is the 338DB at 37' only has a payload of 1,700#! That and it has a W/D prep!

I for one would love to see the OP's numbers before and after, might be interesting.
GM's have light trucks, so his payload might have some room.

To the morons that passed you, would it matter if they had a one ton DRW, likely would have been all over the road.

Your last statement is what we all really need to know, loaded weights.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote