View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 01:26 PM   #37
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbell View Post
My previous comment was addressed to the topic; towing in the rain. I will not ever attempt to tow on ice or snow, no matter what. I have towed many miles in the rain including on such roads as US 550 between Durango and Ouray and a number of similar roads w/o a problem using tow-haul and exhaust brake. I specifically stay off the brake pedal as much as possible and so far have kept the shiny side up. I don't dispute that using them on snow/ice could be a problem, but the same can be said about using brakes on slick surfaces.
Heres the difference, IF the exhaust brake locks up your drives you WILL go into a slide. A slide begins when one axle is turning slower than the others, either because of bad brake balance or an exhaust btrake. A slide also begins if one axle is turning faster than the others, mostly the drives from applying to much power. So the idea is to keep all wheels turning at the same speed. I have no problem believing what you say is working for you. But intentionally staying off the brakes as much as possible makes no sense. If they are adjusted properly then use them. If you drive that same truck empty do you use your brakes in the rain? Of course you do. I promise you I drive a lot of miles in the snow every winter and I use the brakes, not the exhaust brake. If I used the exhaust brake exclusively I'd be in the ditch. Again, I'm not telling people to not use it in the rain I'm just trying to show exactly what's going on and that it COULD get them in trouble. While we're on the subject I would add that driving these trucks empty in the rain is probably not an ideal situation to use an exhaust brake. Your mileage may vary,

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote