View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 06:17 PM   #13
Trent McCain

Ask 10 people their definition of quality and you'll get 10 different answers. As others have posted what's high class to one is junk to another. My wife and I pull a 2008 Copper Canyon, in my opinion, it's at the entry-mid level range. It's far from high quality, but for what we use it for, and our budget...it works for now. We keep it in excellent shape as all our equipment, and when the time comes to sell, we'll recoup most of our investment. My folks pull an ordered new 2012 Montana Mountaineer 346LBQ. They traded a 1998 Alpenlite that they had owned since 2002, it was trouble free. The Alpenlite, in my opinion was much higher quality than either of our coaches are now. I should have bought it instead of the one we have, but I'm newly married with a family now, so the Alpenlite's floor plan didn't accommodate that like a bunkhouse does. We are also starting to be on the road during the summer with our trucking company, so the bunkhouse is nice for me and the crew. Where the Alpenlite was a true 4 seasons coach, I'd rate ours at 2.5. From late spring to early fall it's fine. We aren't living in ours full time, so our budget doesn't dictate a $100K coach. You can have issues regardless of price. My folks were in a campground beside a couple with a beautiful Heartland Landmark, they were taking it back into the factory because of issues. Another good friend runs harvest and started out with a new entry level "stick and tin" trailer 10 years ago...drug it all over the midwest and had very few issues. Now has a high end 5th wheel toy hauler with all the bells and whistles. He's taken it back to the factory once already. He told me he had less trouble with his old $20K travel trailer than his new $100K toy hauler. Buy what you like and what your budget will allow. Next time we purchase, my budget will be higher, and so my purchasing options will be greater. What we have now does the intended job....it allows us to spend time together as a family....and regardless if you do that in a tent or a $600K Prevost diesel pusher motorhome....you're making memories that are priceless.

Trent
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote