View Single Post
Old 12-29-2018, 02:12 PM   #52
wiredgeorge

I am sure that in a perfect world, the CW store or manufacturer should make this rust issue right but if it were mine, rather than fuss about lawyers and law suits, I would get a gallon of phosphoric acid and mix it into a solution. Then I would take a wire brush and hit the flaking rust and then soak the areas that are rusted with a sponge in the phosphoric acid solution. Alternatively rust binding commercial products but phosphoric acid solution works better. Of course, you should use eye cover and keep the stuff off you as you work but it isn't as nasty as many acids. This solution will turn the rust to paintable ferric phosphate. It works great in motorcycle gas tanks where the metal is plain steel and tends to rust over time.

If you use a commercial product, most are phosphoric acid based. Here is a good article detailing the differences between many of these products. You will want to paint the treated areas after they become cured and inert. I would recommend Krylon commercial grade spray paint (aerosol cans) but you can shoot the paint with a gun if that is more your bent.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote