View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 08:16 AM   #54
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
DEF does freeze at -11C or 12F... Ford has a heater in the tank... I know this because it was just replaced under warranty which was extended because of a problem with the heater..

Down here 12F is pretty rare so I have little knowledge of the operation of the heater other than a warning light came on when it failed..

Wonder if it works with the block heater if the truck is so equipped.
Up here, 12F is a "normal winter temperature" and well below that is typical from December through March. The DEF heater is in the DEF tank, the block heater is in the engine block, on the passenger's side, rear of the motor. As I understand it, ALL 6.7L Ford diesels leave the engine facility with the block heater in the freeze plug port. The $75 option is the wiring that runs from the freeze plug to the front lower grill opening on the truck. The two, Block heater and DEF heater are not related and in actuality, the DEF heater is 12 VDC. The block heater is 120VAC.

As I understand the DEF heater, it is a "black cylinder" inside the DEF tank that contains the level sensors, the heat element, a thermostatically control temperature sensor and a filter assembly. You can read about it here: https://www.accuratediesel.com/6-7l-...ef-heater.html

I am aware of the recall, but so far, I've never had an issue with the DEF tank or heater. I do park in the garage, so my truck is only outside when driven or if we go on a trip. Typically, if it's winter, we take the DW'S SUV rather than the truck. I guess what I'm saying is that my DEF has never frozen, so I don't know if the heater works or not, but I've never seen a "fault light" or an OBD scan that indicates a problem with that system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote