View Single Post
Old 11-27-2019, 10:52 AM   #41
Dan Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Congrats on the retirement Dan! It IS all it's cracked up to be. When we retired (14 years ago) we thought the same thing about "Saturdays". It's hilarious but now we don't have a clue what day of the week it is unless we look at a calendar, AND, we detest "Saturdays" because that's when all of those that have to work (of the few left) are off and clogging the highways and stores. Naw, we like in the AM on a weekday now....just like being off and out of the crowds!! Have fun!
Danny, I have friends up in MI that worked at GM and I other places, that have been retired for 20 years now. Boy did I ever make some not so good decisions...

When my brother retired at 62 I suggested he keep working to make some extra fun money etc. He was in great health at the time and did retire at 62. Now almost 18 years later he's pretty much wheelchair bound and not going to be around much longer. He'll be 78 in March. He has MSA, Multiple System Atrophy. It's like Parkinson's but without medication and there is no remission as in Parkinson's from time to time. He'll probably just have a cardiac arrest and cease to exist. I'm not looking forward to that though at all... So I'm very happy that he didn't take my advice and keep working another three years. He had many productive years before he's been reduced to a walker and now the wheelchair. His wife has Stage 4 lung cancer and Stage 2 COPD. She has had 1/3 of one lung removed about 12 years ago and it finally is catching up to her again. Her younger sister died of the same thing probably 15 years ago and her mother just passed with the same thing two years ago. Not that it's the cause, but all three were heavy smokers. Yes, I know many people lots older that smoke and are just fine, but I do believe it's giving a person lesser odds of a long life.

Sorry to be Danny Downer the day before Thanksgiving, but I do have thanks for what I have, my wife and son and his family and our extended family back up in mid-MI area.

So Happy Thanksgiving and be thankful for all you have!
'09 Harley CVO Road Glide
'76 Harley FLH Shovelhead
Dan Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote