View Single Post
Old 11-25-2019, 10:58 AM   #82
Brantlyj

Ez-Lube bearings are kind of a marketing thing and really are not needed on a standard trailer imo. If you think about it properly packed bearings shouldn't need fresh grease. In fact, were is the old grease going to go? There's nothing to consume it. As long as you don't overheat them or have a seal failure the grease will last a long time.

I have not pulled the caps off so I don't know if they are like the old Bearing Buddys, where the cap floats with a spring putting pressure on the cap. They were marketed to boat owners. How those worked is that you would put in just enough grease to get the cap to move. Any water inside would get pushed out.

My dad put the bearing buddies on our boat trailer. We put on thousands of miles a year and would take a swim several dozen times a season. He only put in a pump or two of grease once or twice a year and repacked them whenever he thought about it, usually every two years or so. Never a failure, never any water, and never replaced the bearings.

I'm guessing if the Ez-Lube is similar people are going overboard with the grease gun, filling it so full it's pushing out the seal.

Again, my opinion, on a new trailer, pull the bearings, replace with Timkins if so inclined, pack them well with a quality grease and use a standard bearing cap and toss the Ez-Lube caps in the trash. They are just not needed if you repack them on a regular maintenance schedule.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote