View Single Post
Old 05-19-2019, 03:43 PM   #7
firestation12

I did the modification you are considering to my 2019 3700FL. If you didn't know it, the king size bed used in the RV is not a standard residential bed. It is smaller. You will not be able to use standard fitted sheets and accesories. I cut the base consisting of osb to accommodate a standard residential queen bed. The length of the queen residential mattress is the same as the RV mattress queen or king, so you will not have an issue with the slideout. I made a 45 degree cut to the 2 corners of the osb base, then I rimmed the under side of the osb base with 2X3 pine (glued and screwed) to give the edges a finished look and add stability. I should mention that I removed the 3 hinges so the osb could be cut outside. In doing so, I noticed how flimsy the hinges were and how they were starting to bend from the lift struts pressure. I replaced the 3 hinges with 5 obtained from home depot which solved a future problem that was sure to happen.

Now I have a bed that uses an easy to find residential queen mattress and is easy to find sheets and comforter to fit. As you mentioned too, it is easier to make the bed with the extra 4" on each side. I'm a happy camper with this mod!
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote