View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 07:25 PM   #98
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
“The RV Industry Association is the national trade association representing RV manufacturers and their component parts suppliers who together build more than 98 percent of all RVs produced in the U.S., and approximately 60 percent of RVs produced worldwide.”

RVIA has mandated changes in Original Equipment (OE) tire load capacity recommendations and design upgrades that are probably already showing-up on all new RV trailer models that display their RVIA membership placard.

IMO, any RV trailer manufacturer member that wants to remain a member is going to comply with RVIAs recommendations.

The basics are very simple. All RV trailer tires larger than 13” in OD must be radial designed tires.

RVIA recommends RV trailer manufacturer’s provide a 10% load capacity reserve, above the certified GAWRs for all OE tires. That means, a RV trailer with 3500# GAWR axles must have tires that that can provide 1925# of load capacity when inflated to the trailer manufacturer’s recommended cold inflation pressures found on the vehicle certification label.

I hope anyone that has a 2018 or later model RV trailer with a RVIA placard, will challenge the validity of their OE tires, if they do not meet the new RVIA standard.

There are a lot of bias ply tires still available from wholesalers. The RVIA bias ply tire recommendations do not include replacement tires. The recommendation is not legally binding in any way. Therefore, they can still be used as replacements for any tire fitments above 13” OD. They are much less expensive than radials. For those that only travel locally and only a couple times a year, they are the most economical solution.

Remember, RVIAs recommendations are in no way binding on the RV trailer industry. There is nothing to prevent the vehicle manufacturer from just leaving the RVIA seal of approval off the trailers they manufacturer. The vehicle manufacturer is still free to use the FMVSS without any government repercussions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
There was a much easier solution in Michelin XPS Ribs or Bridgestone Duravis R250s. I ran RIBs in that configuration for 6.5 years, then a set of R250s for 4.5 years until the trailer was sold. Never a problem, seldom need tire added and I never looked back! Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Which have a rating of 12,168 lbs. combined... Once again... even if I were so inclined, what would that actually accomplish... The axles are still the weak link by almost 1800 pounds and in fact what you suggest would make the rims the strongest element.. Mounting tires which have a lesser load rating solves nothing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
Because one puts tires problems behind you with either of these two tires. Lower rolling resistance, and longer thread and tire life. Chris
I agree with Chris, I believe you don'e need XPS or 250's, just a quality LT tire of the correct size.

My current 5er has Yokohama LT 235/85-16 E's 3,042# ea. the number that Javi pointed out. Now I have 5,200# axles for an axle capacity of 10,400# that is 1,768# over axle capacity or 17%.

I just finished a rough scaling of the 5er. I weighed the TV the day before and unfortunately I did toss some extra stuff into the TV after, Maybe 50 to 100#. This gave me a pin of about 2,600# and 10,125# on the axles. Giving me a 12,725# or 365# over the listed GVWR (may need to loose some T shirts). Even at the weight I have 2,043# of unused tire capacity or 16.8% not bad at all. This on an LT tire with a built in weight reserve, I expect to get at least six years of service from these tires without worry.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks