View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Woo Hoo! Reminds me of so many misguided adventures I've been on!! Once upon a time my buddy and I were deer hunting in the Guadalupe mountains in NM. Lots of great trails and deer hunting in the NF. We were headed to "the top". Nothing up there and no roads to speak of. It was the night before opening day. Came upon what we knew was a bad section of trail that was literally a path of 2-4' boulders strewn around (a class 9/10 at the time). It had been raining and all around the boulders the water had built up. I told him, "let's make camp back down the road and we'll hit this when it's daylight". What? Heck no! We're in the "Tarantula"; a 1962 Ford F100 4x4....stock. No lockers, no nothing. So, we went in. About 1/2 way, as he tried to navigate a very large boulder, and took a very bad line....which I pointed out repeatedly, we fell on the boulder and high centered. We got under the truck, in the dark, in the rain, in the mud and accumulated water trying to get something to give us some traction. We kept working at it and finally accomplished driving the truck over the big boulder, into a huge hole between two bigger boulders in a sea of deep mud. Spent the night trying to sleep in that old truck someplace to keep warm. In the morning our other hunting buddies came up, found us, took a winch and got us out - mud caked, frozen and all. Your picture with that situation just popped that into my head....thanks - and I apologize for the long post.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote