View Single Post
Old 10-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #21
CWSWine

That good to know that "The manufacturers do not set the legal limits." Since the 'Manufacture GVWR and the Manufacture GAWR" are both listed on the "Federal Safety Compliance Certification Label" are all manufacture ratings and the legal limit is 20,000 pounds on my F150 axles. Heck with Manufacture Ratings they put on tires since they Manufactures can't set legal limits.

I don't think that is correct information and also dangerous information that you can register the weight you need to haul and don't pay any attention to Manufacture Specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
Here is a post forum another forum where a retired state weigh master explains it.

"
Question: My concern is the legal aspect of being so close, or barely above the legal limit.

His answer: Legally there is no difference between an F-250 and an F-350. The manufacturers do not set the legal limits. That's what your legislature does. The 10,000 lbs you referred to is not a legal weight restriction. Ford, GMC, Chevy, Dodge nor any other truck maker determines legal weight. They don't make the laws.
Generally, the legal weight limits are 20,000 lbs on a single axle. You're not anywhere close to the legal limit with your 5er nor will you be with either the F-250 or F-350.
Some states register vehicles based on the weight they haul. For example, if you register your truck for 10,000 lbs then that's the max weight you can haul. But if you want to haul 14,000 lbs then you buy registration for the increased weight.
But in either example, the manufacturer has nothing to do with either."

In another post he wrote:

"You guys keep quoting GVWR. Obviously neither of you understand that GVWR is not actual weight. GVWR is Gross Vehicle WEIGHT RATING. A rating. Not actual weight."
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote