View Single Post
Old 10-04-2018, 06:09 AM   #12
busterbrown

As others have already mentioned, there are 2 significant deficits when towing with a midsize SUV.

First is payload. JGCs average around 1300 lbs of payload from the factory. More optioned trims will be less. When loaded up and "ready to camp", the tongue weight on the forementioned trailer can be as high as 975# (6500x15%). Throw in a 100 lb WDH and nearly 1,100 lbs of payload has already been accounted for. Not much reserve payload left over.

The second limiting factor is the inherent short wheelbase of "any" midsize SUV. The "tail wagging the dog" or however one says it, is the downfall of towing any large trailer. Short wheelbase vehicles will always be at a disadvantage when it comes to control of the trailer behind them. Passing semi's, crosswinds, and the descents on hill crests will become tiring on long commutes. Control should come natural without frequent steering corrections. This won't be the case with a SUV wheelbase at 114 inches pulling a 29 ft high profile travel trailer.

Last summer, I camped next to a man (and his family) with the same 35 foot trailer I had. His TV was a late model Dodge Durango. A slightly larger vehicle than the JGC with a wb of 119". We struck up a conversation. This was his first trip out with his trailer after buying it new 1 month earlier. He told me that he was very disappointed in the Durango's control of the coach. He was using a 2 point sway control WDH. He stated he had a 200 mile ride home and wasn't looking forward to it. Then he asked me how my Ram 2500 Mega cab towed this trailer. Let's just say, by the end of our discussion, he was a "future" RAM owner.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote