Thread: Bearings
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 08:43 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

This recall is not yet on the Keystone website, and according to the NHTSA website, the models affected are:
Makes/Models/Model Years:
DUTCHMEN/AEROLITE/2019
DUTCHMEN/ATLAS/2019
KEYSTONE/BULLET/2019
KEYSTONE/COUGAR/2019
KEYSTONE/HIDEOUT/2019
KEYSTONE/OUTBACK/2019
KEYSTONE/PASSPORT/2019
KEYSTONE/SPRINGDALE/2019

The recall is scheduled to start January 20, so it may not appear on the Keystone website until that date.

This is the second recent recall for "assembly issues with axles". The first was missing bearing cups on Dexter axles and now this one for "lack of inner bearing grease"... I haven't seen the axle manufacturer named in any of the information I can find about this recall which is # Keystone18-340.

During assembly, Keystone "has not in the past" inspected the axles before installation. Typically, the chassis rails come in "upside down", bottom wiring and plumbing components are installed, coroplast is installed, axles are hung and then the chassis is "turned upright" and assembly continues. Other than a quick "cursory" inspection, I don't know of any "axle serviceability inspection" that's done. I'd suppose it's "expected" that the axles are delivered to the factory "lubed, adjusted and ready to install"....

Whether Keystone is going to "simply backcharge the axle manufacturer" for the cost of the recall or whether they are going to add inspection steps either at the factory or at the dealer PDI, who knows....

This should have been (and ought to be) a discussion item for any RV purchaser when negotiating the purchase of an RV. IMHO, too many people "assume" the dealer is going to grease the bearings and adjust the brakes. In reality, few, maybe even most dealerships don't even check the tire pressure on the PDI. What happens, too often, is the new owner gets "handed an unknown with a warranty".... If something happens, bring it back, if not, have fun....

Hopefully that will change, but I wouldn't hold my breath.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote